Time Machine Issue

Reaction score
Hi there,

My co-worker just purchased a new hard drive (1 TB CalDigit AVDrive) and we are trying to set up his Time Machine. He previously had Time Machine running on his iMac, but the hard drive was being used by two computers and got too full.

The issue comes when we try and run the backup. It always gets stuck about 30% through the backup and then freezes. He has to fully restart the computer because Finder freezes and won't properly relaunch.

System Preferences has the correct drive selected and we have tried erasing and reformatting the hard drive, as well as verifying and repairing both the external and internal hard drives, all to no avail.

Again, the external drive is brand new and seems to be working fine, so I have my doubts it's an issue with the drive, though I could be wrong there. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I trust the drive is formatted using Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? How is it connected? What model iMac? What version OS X?

Ideally, it should be connected using FW800. USB 3.0 isn't supported on any iMac yet, and transfer speeds would be abysmal if it's connected to a USB 2.0 port. If it already is connected by Firewire, then perhaps try a different cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.