Java isn't working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'm trying to figure out why java won't run. I need to make sure it works because I might need it for college. When I go to a java test site or page the whole browser crashes. I'm using Firefox right now since I've been having a lot of lag in Safari. How can I fix this to make sure java works?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless you've installed it yourself, Java won't be installed since it is no longer pre-installed. That doesn't explain the crash but it's something to note anyway.

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app. That application will, amongst other functions, tell you which versions you have installed and enabled. If you're looking to use it in the browser, you'll need to make sure that applets are enabled (top checkbox under the "General" tab).

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did install it myself. I'm running 10.8.1. So I wish I knew why it crashed the browser. I have Java 7 Update 7 installed.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked, it takes a long time for the java settings app to open once I click Java in System Prefs. Then there is no enable java or anything under any of the headings in the app.

Screen Shot 2012-09-10 at 12.55.29 PM.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Evidently the Java Preferences app that Oracle ships is considerably different than the Apple provided one. Check to see if there is an option to enable applets (they may already be enabled).

All modern browsers execute plugins in a separate process. In layman's terms, it means that if a plugin crashes, it shouldn't take down the browser at the same time (only the plugin will crash). So, let's try this with the official Java test page here. If the browser as a whole goes down, we can go on from there but if only the Java plugin crashes, we can narrow it down to just Java.

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Evidently the Java Preferences app that Oracle ships is considerably different than the Apple provided one. Check to see if there is an option to enable applets (they may already be enabled).

All modern browsers execute plugins in a separate process. In layman's terms, it means that if a plugin crashes, it shouldn't take down the browser at the same time (only the plugin will crash). So, let's try this with the official Java test page here. If the browser as a whole goes down, we can go on from there but if only the Java plugin crashes, we can narrow it down to just Java.

That one worked. It didn't crash the browser. Let me try the other one again and see if it crashes it... I'll edit this post when I find out.

EDIT: No problem now. I may have forced a change in the settings when I went through the java settings. (?) So I'm glad this is resolved. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.