Installed in pairs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh ,Quad, Editing Machine
so iwas gonna upgrade the ram on my new g5 but keep reading that it has to be installed in pairs could someone elaborate for me,exactly what the entails?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
2 chips of the same type and the same size, in other words "identical", at the same time. Pairs.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
ThaXStank said:
so iwas gonna upgrade the ram on my new g5 but keep reading that it has to be installed in pairs could someone elaborate for me,exactly what the entails?

The memory slots are in pairs starting form the two inner slots and working outwards i.e in my machine I have 4 pairs: D1,C1,B1,A1,A2,B2,C2,D2.

A pair of slots must have exactly the same size RAM card (and preferably they should be the same in other respects like make and timings), i.e I have a 1Gb card in each of slots A1,A2,B1 & B2 and I have 512Mb cards in C1 & C2 thus giving me 5Gb total. could not for example put one of the 512 sticks in A2 with 1G in A1 nor could I put something in slot C1 and leave C2 empty.

Companies like Crucial sell matched pairs of RAM cards to make this easy as modern PCs also use this pairing technique.

Hope that helps.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.