Preview on Windows

nig

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I was wondering does anyone know if it is possible to install Preview on a Windows machine? I've done a ton of work using it over the last few months but having moved away from home for a while I don't have access to my Mac so I'm consigned to a lowly Windows notebook. Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

nig

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, Preview is OS X only. However, there are many fine PDF viewers available for Windows. I don't use Windows enough to care what PDF viewer I'm using (inevitably it's Adobe Reader) but I hear good things about Foxit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not possible. In order to install Mac software you must have a genuine Mac computer that supports the software. You can run Windows on an Intel Mac but not the other way around.

Why don't you download and install the free IrfanView for Windows. It's great software and in some ways even better than Preview.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Preview is a OS X application, so it will not work on Windows. If you've been using it it view PDF files, then you have other alternatives on Windows including Adobe Reader and my choice Foxit Reader..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with using the free Foxit for PDFs. The Adobe reader for Windows has got to be one of the worst bloated examples of software that I have ever run into. However, if you need software in Windows that is comparable to what Preview can do in OS X, then IrfanView should be your choice.

OP
N

nig

Reaction score
Cheers everyone, thanks for the answers. I was thinking that might be the case. The only reason why I was looking to stay with Preview was that I have annotated a lot of my work using it and wanted to keep everything looking consistent. Back to the drawing board I suppose! Thanks very much for the replies regardless.

nig

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.