My macbook is acting wierd

Reaction score
:(
I have been having problems with my macbook pro.
It is 2 years old, and all of a sudden, as I am working on something, the screen goes completely blank (light blue color), and I can't get anywhere. Then i have to force quit, by pressing the start button. Then, when I want to turn it on again, it doens't at first, and does a bipping sound and does not turn on, and I have to force quit again...and it does that for a while.
Then, i have to leave it off for a while, and when I turn it on, it goes on again.
But I know this is not supposed to be like this.
Does anybody have anything to say about this? Is is something I can fix myself, or do I need a technical support?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You stated your MBP is two years old but you didn't tell us which version of OS X it's running. Post back with that info and we'll go from there. Basically, you should run a hardware check on your hard drive as a trouble shooting start.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply...
This is my MBP info:
Mac OS X
version 10.6.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting your specs as that makes a difference on how we need to trouble shoot. Boot your MBP with your Snow Leopard DVD and instead of proceeding with the installation screen, click on the top menu and select Utilities, Disk Utility. Do a verify on the hard drive and tell us the results.

OP
L
Reaction score
do I need to boot it with snow leopard first...If so, I would have to download it, and it would take a while.
Or can i verify the hard drive right away?
I am sorry, i am not very computer smart, and my english is not the best. But i do appreciate your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You wrote in your Mac specs that you were using Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Where is your disk with Snow Leopard on it? You need to boot with that disk. You can not download Snow Leopard from anywhere.

OP
L
Reaction score
ok...i get it, I have this disk.
So, do you mean to install snow leopard again, or to boot it means something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I think he means this:
-Insert the disk with Snow Lepord on it into your disk drive
-Turn off your computer
-Turn your computer back on
-when the Snow Leapord screen comes on, DO NOT install it. Instead, click on the top menu, click utilities, then click on disk utility and run the diagnostic on your hard drive and report the results back here.

Hope that helps :)

OP
L
Reaction score
ok.
I just did that and I got the following negative responses:
Invalid volume file count (It should be 853825 instead of 853827)
Invalid volume directory count (It should be 210800 instead of 210798)
Invalid volume free block count (It should be 5921838 instead of 5921811)
The volume Ambika HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

So, once i start up my computer with the snow leopard cd again, i will go to disk utility and press the repair button? Is it safe to do?

Thank you so much for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, definitely. Keep running the repair routine until all errors have been cleared.

OP
L
Reaction score
hello there,
I have rebooted the snow leopard cd, and went to disk utility, but the repair icon is not on ( it shows in the disk utility window, but does not go on)
The other options I have is :
Repair Disk Permissions...
Is this the option I should go for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you're in the right place? You need to first highlight your hard drive on the left side (the tab that gives the capacity of the drive not the drive name), then on the right side select repair. That does that work?

OP
L
Reaction score
I manage to repair it...yes.
and I got the message that it was successfully repaired.
So, I guess now I see if the problem will continue...but most likely not, right?

Thanks for your help.

Will let you know if the problem persists.

OP
L
Reaction score
My macbook is acting wierd again

Hi there, I had some problem with my mac a while back, in which the screen was getting blank and it started bipping...i fixed it by repairing the disk in disk utility and it was working fine...now since yesterday, it started again, and i had to force quit it, and now it is not turning on anymore, and it is only bipping...firts it does one bipping at a time, and then I force quit it again and turn it on again and it does a faster bipping sequence.
Can anyone help me?
:[

C

chas_m

Here's what is happening: your hard drive is failing.

If you can get the hard drive repaired again, BACK UP YOUR STUFF RIGHT NOW.

Then go and buy a new hard drive. Have a tech install it if you are not comfortable doing that.

Restore your system from your Snow Leopard DVD and restore your stuff from your backup.

OP
L
Reaction score
oh no....
i haven't done back up for a while...and now when I try to turn it on it does a sequence os 3 beeps at a time, and some times absolutely nothing happens....what are the chances I can still back up my hard drive information before changing into a new one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.