finder icon flashing

Reaction score
The finder on my imac is blinking/not functioning and the desktop icons are not visible, The desktop picture remains, and a few applications are in the dock but otherwise nothing is working. I know that the desktop folders are somewhere out there, because I can open documents that are saved in the folders through their applications. But I can't see the folders or HD to acess any of the applications except for the few that are on the dock

I logged out and created a new user account -- when I logged into the new one, everything works fine. So I know that the original account that has the problem.

I ran a permissions repair under the new account -- but when I logged back into the original user account there was no change (I was expecting that I suppose.)

anyone have any further suggestions? There were several desktop folders that have info that I don't want to lose!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What is your OS X version? Always supply that when asking a question.
We'll look for your Finder plist file and see it that is the culprit.

OP
M
Reaction score
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53) i have seen some threads about a file called stuffit found in system preferences but i can't find it? thanks mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hold down Option and click on the View menu
Select Library - this is your User(Your Name) Library folder
Open the Preferences folder within
find com.apple.finder.plist
move that file out onto your Desktop
Restart the computer

See if that helps, and let us know.

OP
M
Reaction score
hi toMacsh

if your asking about the view menu on the tool bar it flashes and i can't click on. there's a box on the desktop flashing "restore windows" i appreciate your help

mars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the View menu at the top of the screen.

Does this box say "Restore windows" or "Restore Windows"?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, yes it has Restore Windows with smaller boxes to click, don't restore windows and restore windows
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, what I'm getting at (sorry if that was a bit obtuse) is do you have Microsoft Windows installed as well as the Mac OS?

Did you try the suggestion in Post #4 above? If so, how did that go?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi toMACsh

i haven't tried to install microsoft windows and because the tool bar keeps flashing i can't access it

regards
mario

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try holding down the Shift key while Restarting. (I think that's right.) This logs you in under Safe Mode. Does the menu still flash?

To the real experts:
A little more help here would be nice. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi toMACsh,

just wanted to say thanks for your effort i appreciate it i read a forum which gave me the answer- Press COMMAND-OPTION-ESC to open the task manager. Select the Finder entry then click on the Relaunch button. it was as easy as that it such a relief thanks again

mars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi toMACsh,

just wanted to say thanks for your effort i appreciate it i read a forum which gave me the answer- Press COMMAND-OPTION-ESC to open the task manager. Select the Finder entry then click on the Relaunch button. it was as easy as that it such a relief thanks again

mars

Good deal. If you stayed in that account and Shut Down, Restart should have had the same effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.