Cannot connect to App Store

Reaction score
Hello All

This is my first post so for a quick intro; I'm the Dad of a family of 5 living in the Northwest of the UK, with an iMac, iPad and several iPhones and iPods. I'm reasonable operating Macs after 5 years and would be really grateful for your help as after several weeks of trying to sort the following problem out I remain stuck solid.

When starting App Store on the iMac (only) MAS says "Cannot connect to the App Store". It has a sign-in option, however nothing happens when you press it. When you try updating software MAS advises "An internet connection is required"

- It's only on the iMac; the iPad MAS is fine
- Firewall is OFF
- There is no anti virus software installed that I am aware of. I certainly haven't installed any.
- Use Passive FTP mode is on
- There are no proxies active
- It is however set to bypassing proxy settings for *.local, 169.xxx/xx (numbers shown as x for security)

I have recently installed Mountain Lion 10.8 and at present because of the App Store issue cannot update to 10.8.1

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you log into the guest user, or create a new user and log into that, do you get the same issue?

OP
S
Reaction score
Problem solved! Unbeknownst to me I was in the Guest Account hence MAS wouldn't update. Someone, sometime must have logged the Admin user out.

Massive thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.