Sound output

K

kypris

I've had my 12" iBook for half a year now, and I've never really thought about it until very recently, but when I plug in headphones, I only get sound in the left ear. I believe this started quite a while ago, but I can't remember very clearly.

Is this normal, or is this a problem? Should I send my laptop in to get it fixed? I definitely want it fixed if it's not normal.

I've also been very careful since I bought it, and for the most part, it works like new.

Help, please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure both Left and Right phones work? Have you tried the phones on another device? If the phones work somewhere else, it must be the jack on the iBook. Either it's the jack or a loose connection on the iBooks Circuit Board. For that take it in for service.

OP
K

kypris

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, the phones work perfectly with my iPod, but other headphones still don't work with the laptop. I guess I will have to take it in then *sigh*

I don't have an actual Apple store where I live though, and I bought my laptop online. Does that mean that I can go to any authorized Apple retail store and get it fixed there?

Edit: Never mind! My, do I feel stupid. I just checked the "sound" settings on the computer, on a hunch, and noticed that the output was balanced all the way to the left! Shifted it to the middle, and voila! Sorry to have troubled you all... thanks for the help anyway! At least I know what to do if I ever actually have a problem...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Am so glad it was the balance control. Had that 1000's of times on Windows systems i have repaired. Am shocked I did not think to tell you that!!

Glad you fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.