imac takes 3-4 mins to start

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know why my imac stays on the white blank screen 3-4mins before you can hear activity and then it goes to the screen with the grey apple and finally the desktop ? :(
Hope someone can help!
Chris

C

chas_m

That sounds like it is trying to load something, eventually failing and timing out.

Try a "safe boot": start up the machine and hold the Shift key down until you see the words "Safe Boot" on screen. Was that faster, or about the same as a normal boot?

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi chas_m, Thankyou for you advice, as I went to start my comp I noticed that our Epson printer which has 2 USB plugs in the back were actually both plugged into the imac so I took one out and it seemed to start up as normal, don't know if that would of caused it? but what you said makes sense! I will take your advice next time it happens again! Once again thank you so much for your help.
Cheers, christle

C

chas_m

Oh yeah, that would cause such a problem. The Mac would be conflicted trying to communicate twice with the same printer, and eventually give up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.