Unable to free up space on my hard drive

Reaction score
Recently I have been getting the notice that I have no more free space on my hard drive. Although I do have a lot of video files and large pictures I didn't think I filled 750GB. Since then I have deleted large files, some up to 10 GB in size but two hours later I get the message that I have no free space again. I recently deleted a 1.5 GB file and then hit "Get Info" for my hard drive. I watched the free space tick down like I was downloading something, but I wasn't (to my knowledge).

I have a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro, 750 GB, 8 GB ram, 10.7.4

Virus?

Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When you "deleted" the files...did you remember to empty the trash (it has happened before)?

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Fair question but yes, I emptied trash. I tried secure empty trash too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have any apps. that auto-load on startup...and might be causing an issue?

You could also check "Activity Monitor"...to see if there are any process going on that shouldn't be.

- Reboot the computer
- DON'T launch any apps. (other than Activity monitor)
- then check Activity Monitor

Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
OK, I just found something. I just used Disk Inventory X and found that there is an email that is multiplying from my Yahoo account to the tune of 400+GB. It is in Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes/Recovered Messages (my account).mbox.

I suspect I can delete them all but any ideas on how to prevent it from happening again?

OP
G
Reaction score
OK, I deleted the file but 10 minutes later it has reappeared and repeatedly downloading this email. It is an email that I sent with an attachment. As I remember I was told that it was too big to send since it is 66MB. I use Mac's Mail program for all of my emails. I even went to my Yahoo account online but this message doesn't even appear in that account.

How do I prevent this from continuing to happen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.