Wireless connection between Mac and Netgear Router

Reaction score
My internet access point is via a NETGEAR WNR2000 router. The main computer is a PC. I want to wirelessly connect my Mac. I've put in the correct password repeatedly, but still cannot connect. What settings might I be missing? The router says it uses WPA2-PSK[AES] security, fwiw. Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, tell us which Mac you have? Year and model? And version of OS X you're running?

OP
J
Reaction score
Networking Mac with Netgear.

OsX 10.7.4 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, bought in June. Our ISP is Comcast Xfinity, if that makes a difference.

Let me know if there are updates I should get, once I'm on line. The problem started when my son moved out. His computer was the access point for the home network, which was running fine. Then my husband's old Gateway collapsed, to be replaced by a basic HP. We moved the routers to my husband's machine, but now I can't seem to get the Mac connected. There must be some way, since the same routers worked with it this summer.

Hopefully,
Justician.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your Netgear router is set to use WPA2 then you need to know two things:

1. The name of the network so you can identify which network to connect to from the iMac.

2. The password or pass phrase used by the network.

When you click on your airport icon in the top menu, what do you see? Do you see your network name being generated by the Netgear router?

OP
J
Reaction score
Been there, done that over and over. Security on the router is wpa2-psk. The mac reports it is using wpa2. AFAIK, I am doing everything right. When I click on Airport icon, I see my network name--along with all my neighbors' network names. There are several. I select mine, then get a timeout message. When I do the network diagnostics, I go thru to the password, enter the password that I confirmed from the router login program, and get an unable to connect message. AARRGG.
Justician.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a test, try connecting your iMac to the router using an ethernet cable just to make sure you can get an internet connection.

OP
J
Reaction score
Connecting.

Spoken like a true techie, lol. If I had an ethernet cable that would reach the router, I would not be trying to do a wireless connection.

I'm having problems on the PC that connects via ethernet--the keyboard strokes are not registering properly. I suspect that the problem is an old modem, so I am going to try to buy a new, updated one. It should work better and perhaps solve the problem.

Thanks for trying.
Justician.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
You don't have anything funky like MAC address permit/deny lists in there do you?

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually, the solution turned out to be replacing the old gateway from Comcast, my ISP. Apparently they had upgraded the signal, but the new format was not compatible with my old router. The new gateway has wireless capability included, so I don't need a second router. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a Netgear, in the end i changed the router. iMAC and Netgear never work.

Tunga

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.