Font Book: what could happen if I use fonts with "serious error"?

Reaction score
Some fonts downloaded from the Internet cannot pass FontBook validation, say, AdineKirnberg, a German script typeface I love a lot. FontBook says, "1 serious error was found. Do not use this font." Of course I can proceed to install if I am determined; and after I installed it, it seems to work well in iWork.

Then, what does "serious error" mean? What could happen if I neglect the warning? Does it mean that the font MIGHT crash sometimes, or does it indicate any safety issues? (I've checked the ttf file with ClamXav, so there's no infection. Btw, more than one font lead to "serous errors". There are fonts with small problems, too.)

Any idea whether I can use these fonts safely? Thank you for your reply!

C

chas_m

It means that using it will destabilize your system and could cause crashes and other corruption. I would seriously recommend you find an alternative version of that font that does not have that warning, unless you like to risk losing data.

OP
ZhimingWang
Reaction score
It means that using it will destabilize your system and could cause crashes and other corruption. I would seriously recommend you find an alternative version of that font that does not have that warning, unless you like to risk losing data.

Well, that's too bad... Thank you for warning me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.