Rec's for new ext HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 MBP 2.6GHz, iPhone 4, iPad 2, Apple TV 2, iPod 3rd gen, iPod Touch 2nd gen
I'm nearing a need for a new external storage drive for my MBP. Internal is 200gb, and I'm nearly full. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to pay up for something like the TimeCapsule since it also allows wifi, or better to just go with Western Digital, etc.

I'm sure I want 1-2Tb of space. Don't know that I need anything that's portable. The wireless that Time Capsule allows may be more of a luxury...don't know that it's a necessity for me, if that's one of the major factors in price difference.

Anybody have any recommendations, anecdotes good or bad, on any external HDs they could provide to help with my decision? Thanks!

Reaction score
Like most Apple products, a Time Capsule is very expensive for what you get.

I just ordered a Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 for about $80 at Amazon (plus points from AmEx). Should be here soon - it shipped today.

My plan is to use it purely for making backups once per week or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
just plug an external hard drive into an airport extreme and use that WIFI option

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.