Should I buy an iMac now or wait?!

Reaction score
So the Sept. 12th event Apple will announce the iPhone 5. But do you guys think they will announce an upgrade to the iMac? I was just curious because I had just sold my MacBook Pro and currently do not have a computer but should I wait to buy the iMac? Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you want an iMac with an optical drive then consider one now, the new ones, you may have to wait until October, but who really knows

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So the Sept. 12th event Apple will announce the iPhone 5. But do you guys think they will announce an upgrade to the iMac? I was just curious because I had just sold my MacBook Pro and currently do not have a computer but should I wait to buy the iMac? Thanks. :)

Only 3 more days. Why not wait just in case.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I would never buy one - unless I could get it for $200 or something.

I'd get a Mini and a monitor instead.

Reaction score
Similar Question

Let me add to the original question here:

I don't really want or need the newest or best iMac, so waiting for me isn't about getting the new one but seeing if the 'old' ones get any cheaper. Does it make sense to wait a few days for the announcement of a new iMac with the expectation of the $1149 model (21.5" model with student discount) getting any cheaper? Or is that as low as they'll get?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Baxter

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It makes sense to wait although quite frankly I believe this announcement will be for the iPhone 5 only and not a new iMac. Although who knows? As for older models getting less expensive when new models are announced, it takes a while for them to get into the system and for prices to come down. You may be better off buying a refurbished iMac from Apple instead.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered that as well. The refurbished 21.5" iMac is about $150 cheaper than the new one, even with the student discount. Maybe that's the best way to go? Are there any notable differences between a new one and a refurbished one?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No difference whatsoever. Will come with Mountain Lion and 4GB memory and a 12 month warranty which can be extended to three years with AppleCare. P{urechase 2x4GB memory modules from OWC and away you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
IMO I think the 'refurbished' route is the way to go.
I bought my iMac from the (refurbished) store in 2011 and its been brill. It even came with a 2TB HD when the spec on the store said it came with a 1TB drive, so a bonus :Cool:

I could have waited for the 'new' model but thought why, there will always be a new updated model just around the corner and I wont have the funds to keep up so, bought the best specked one i could find at the time for the money I had.

Just my 2p worth.

Reaction score
Well, no mention of a new iMac. I am planning to get the iMac 27 & was hoping there might be a new model. Some think there may be a new one announced soon ? Anyone heard anything or should i just get the one that is out now ?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It makes sense to wait although quite frankly I believe this announcement will be for the iPhone 5 only and not a new iMac. Although who knows?

Looks like you were pretty much right…mostly iPhone 5 stuff (of course some updated iPods as well)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth noted Mac author David Pogue has stated the new iMac and Mac Pro will not be released until next year. For one I gave up playing the waiting game and purchased the 2.7Ghz 27"model, upgraded memory to 12GB and very satisfied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.4 Ghz 76gmb Ram, needing: Macbook Pro 2011 2.6 GHz 8GB ram
imac

You dont have a computer? If you have a smartphone you should be fine though, but yes, definitley wait 20 days and buy an imac, there definitely releasing a new one (apple ceo said)
in the october showcase thing. Iv'e heard it will be six or or maybe retina display, and even maybe thirty two inch(w/ no retina display) So yes, def wait.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.