Question about Mountain Lion clean install and App store apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have my 17" MBP - I threw in a new 750GB disk and did a clean install of Mountain Lion. I logged into the App store and the App store seems to think I have a bunch of Apps installed. (I did on the old disk 500gb disk that I pulled out of computer) I've done a Google search and a local search but haven't found anything. I tried the option-click on purchases - and I can re-download the lion and mountain lion installers - but there a bunch of Apps that are not installed - that I cannot install as the button says installed. I don't have them installed and I don't have them downloaded.

I guess I could try a restore from time machine - but that was the whole point - I wanted to start fresh on this machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not sure what is going on there Ivan. I didnt replace my HD but did do a clean install with a 3 wipe pass and signing into the App Store everything is cosher.
Are you able to mount your 500 HD and drag said Apps over without doing a complete restore from TM ??

Certainly is different :(

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've been messing with it. I did a restore from disk ( I put the old 500gb in a drive cage) so all my programs are back but all the quirks of my old login are there too.

I have no idea where the app store is figuring I have the programs installed.

Your procedure should be similar - but somehow the app store is seeing apps installed on a completely new hard drive.

What I may do - is now that everything is back -I'll reformat the drive and see what happens with the app store then. That should exactly mimic what you did TattooedMac.

Another data point. Anything I bought on other machines and didn't install - are still available for install. Lastly - I updated a program and it showed back up. So I guess in theory I could wait until the program I need updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.