Mac Book Pro OR IMAC G5

Reaction score
Hi guys I have been using my 2004 IMAC G5 till round a year and a half ago until it started having power issues and hard drive problems but it is still running (is it worth keeping)

Now I am contemplating on which mac to get as I use a mac pro at work and really miss the OS I would use it for high end graphic design work and normal daily stuff.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi guys I have been using my 2004 IMAC G5 till round a year and a half ago until it started having power issues and hard drive problems but it is still running (is it worth keeping)

Now I am contemplating on which mac to get as I use a mac pro at work and really miss the OS I would use it for high end graphic design work and normal daily stuff.

MacBook Pro or iMac?? All you have to do is decide if you need the portability of a laptop...and then you have your answer!:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
MacBook Pro or iMac?? All you have to do is decide if you need the portability of a laptop...and then you have your answer!:)

- Nick

was leaning towards the mac book as I don't have a laptop and it would be nice to have it with me on trips but can't tell what the specs are as the site has the imac specs but not the mac book are they the same?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
was leaning towards the mac book as I don't have a laptop and it would be nice to have it with me on trips but can't tell what the specs are as the site has the imac specs but not the mac book are they the same?

I like to boil things down to the "lowest common denominator".

If you want or need the portability of a laptop computer...it really doesn't matter what the specs of the iMac are.:) The iMac could be the fastest computer on the planet...but if you want or need the portability of a laptop...then you got to get the laptop.

What I'm trying to say is...decide what is important...then prioritize those things in order of importance. This is the best way to make a computer purchasing decision...with as little emotion getting in the way.:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
I like to boil things down to the "lowest common denominator".

If you want or need the portability of a laptop computer...it really doesn't matter what the specs of the iMac are.:) The iMac could be the fastest computer on the planet...but if you want or need the portability of a laptop...then you got to get the laptop.

What I'm trying to say is...decide what is important...then prioritize those things in order of importance. This is the best way to make a computer purchasing decision...with as little emotion getting in the way.:)

- Nick
found the specs page just gone over it they are not that much different from each other so gonna have to go for the mac pro with a monitor as the 15 inch screen is kinda small .....cheers for the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
was just wondering would a Dell ST2220T monitor work with the MACBOOK

Just about any monitor will work with Macintosh computers. Usually what is needed is a video adapter to complete the "hookup".

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Just about any monitor will work with Macintosh computers. Usually what is needed is a video adapter to complete the "hookup".

- Nick

I have been hearing that some people have had trouble hooking this monitor up with their Macs. Also some of the Korean monitors that people have been buying are supposed to not work but I kinda find that hard to believe (maybe they mean as a dual monitor set-up) as the gpus are quite impressive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Usually what is needed is a video adapter to complete the "hookup".

- Nick

Can we assume that some sort of cyber marriage is to follow?:Mischievous:

Sorry couldn't resist the feeble attempt at humor.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can we assume that some sort of cyber marriage is to follow?:Mischievous:

Sorry couldn't resist the feeble attempt at humor.

Yes...that was an irresistible setup line...for some "clever fellow" to take advantage of!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a G5 iMac and I love PowerPC.

If I were in your shoes I'd find a used or refurb MP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looked at refurbished websites but getting confused any good website that deliver to the UK

In my experience…websites selling "refurbished Mac's" (other than Apple.com)…generally have VERY VERY inflated prices…ESPECIALLY for older Mac's. I've seen some of these "refurbished sites" selling used Mac's for 2-3x their actual used value.

Be very very careful when considering these sites!!!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
noticed they still have the discontinued 17 inch Mac books…

Sure they do. It's typical for Apple to have computer models that are 1-2 generations old for sale in their refurbished area.

...still what could I do with my old G5 thinking of taking it apart and salvaging hard drive as it wont sell.

If your iMac is busted…it's really not worth repairing So sure…remove & keep the HD.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
it doesn't start from cold (have to get room temp up ) had to change hard drive and fan is really loud can I fix or recycle parts

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesn't start from cold (have to get room temp up ) had to change hard drive and fan is really loud can I fix or recycle parts

I've had this problem a couple times when a hard drive was on it's last legs. The hard drive wouldn't spin up when cold...but if it got warmed up...it would work.

Kind of like trying to start an old car with a weak battery in the Winter vs. Summer.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
I've had this problem a couple times when a hard drive was on it's last legs. The hard drive wouldn't spin up when cold...but if it got warmed up...it would work.

Kind of like trying to start an old car with a weak battery in the Winter vs. Summer.

- Nick

(too bad can't do a jump start)
I hear that I did change the hard drive still had the problem looks like a psu problem just going to give to a mate for spare parts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.