Should I upgrade to Mountain Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G
I'm new to Mac-Forums. I have a late 2009 MacBook and am running Lion on it. I'm wondering if it is worthwhile for me to upgrade to Mountain Lion? I've read that certain features won't work like AirPlay on my hardware. Will I see a drop in performance or a performance gain? Just wondering if I would lose more than I would gain on an older Mac like mine.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To make use of all the features of Mountain Lion, you need to be use one of the latest Mac's. That being said, I upgraded my late 2009 iMac to Mountain Lion and use it just as I did with Lion, I see no performance degradation or increase..

If you are happy with Lion right now and things are working OK, there's no REAL reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion..

C

chas_m

I disagree. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and Mountain Lion has been a big improvement IMO. Nothing life-changing, perhaps, but we're talking TWENTY BUCKS for heaven's sake.

I love the Notification Center, Safari 6, the AirPlay mirroring (now built-in), the option to Save to iCloud, the easy sharing for FB and Twitter, the integrated iMessage, the replacement of iChat with Messages (what a time-saver), the dictation (use it on emails and Messages ALL THE TIME), the new features in Mail, the Notes and Reminders thing FINALLY working exactly as it should across all my devices ... really any one or two of these would have been worth the $20.

Reaction score
I disagree. I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and Mountain Lion has been a big improvement IMO. Nothing life-changing, perhaps, but we're talking TWENTY BUCKS for heaven's sake.

I love the Notification Center, Safari 6, the AirPlay mirroring (now built-in), the option to Save to iCloud, the easy sharing for FB and Twitter, the integrated iMessage, the replacement of iChat with Messages (what a time-saver), the dictation (use it on emails and Messages ALL THE TIME), the new features in Mail, the Notes and Reminders thing FINALLY working exactly as it should across all my devices ... really any one or two of these would have been worth the $20.

You sure you have Airplay mirroring on a 2009 MBP?
I have a 2010 MBP, and so far as I can tell, it doesn't work on mine. But if you can tell me how to get it working, I would be grateful.

Neil

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I probably will upgrade just for the convenience of being able to use iMessage on my Mac instead of always having to use my iPad or iPod touch! I like Dictation too. I think I'll wait for the next upgrade though.

I didn't think AirPlay mirroring works on the older Macs though? Not a big deal to me if it doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.