What Setting Should I Have To Avoid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hello-

How do I avoid just anyone getting my email address and sending me a ton of spam? I think my settings are off and I am not sure what some of them should be.

TXS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not possible, that's the reality. The ONLY way to avoid it is to never email anyone. Use strong spam settings and good common sense dealing with email and you'll be fine..

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on another forum I kept getting hundreds of emails and it turned out I did not have a simple setting set right. I do not remember exactly what it was, but it was set to allow "everyone" to have access to my email addy. For others it was common sense to change this setting, but I had no idea. Nothing like that here? I went into my CP and Privacy settings were all set from the drop down menus to "Everyone" I was wondering if it is one of those that should not be set to "Everyone."

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, you mean on the forum..well the only thing that relates to e-mail is under CP->Edit Options, there is a checkbox for Allow vCard Download that if enabled would allow people to get your e-mail address.

The other things you've found in Privacy don't display your e-mail address so that should be OK..

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah, this other forum had the VCard too but on this other forum it had something to do with allowing people to send you emails. I went through the User CP and some sound like they could be what I had not checked off on this other forum, but some of them I do not even understand what they mean.

what about under profile privacy on this forum? Is it cool to leave those all as "Everyone?"

But thanks for the vCard, I will check that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the Privacy as everyone just means people can message you on the forum, but if you wish not to get those, you can certainly set that to Your Friends or something..

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Raz0r. Are you going to watch the Apple Event this Wed. to possible hear about the iPhone 5?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keynote is not streamed live but I'll be watching all the liveblogs..

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologize. I should have added to your reputation, which I just did. I assume that is how to mark a reply to a post as "the right answer" or "this answered my question" or something like this. Is clicking the small icon that looks like a thumbs up the way to give the reply some good mark in this forum?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reputation system is used to recognize people that were helpful to you in a post and admonish those that weren't..kinda how it works in real life. The post counts and all don't really matter, but the rep of the poster is of greater value, IMHO.

There is no way of marking a post as answered or anything and things are usually an ongoing discussion, but if you are satisfied with the answers given in your threads, you can just move on and others with similar problems might jump in or ask additional questions. We'll only close out threads that become inundated with spam or other things that violate the community guidelines..

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to add to your colorful dots...

The reputation system is used to recognize people that were helpful to you in a post and admonish those that weren't..kinda how it works in real life. The post counts and all don't really matter, but the rep of the poster is of greater value, IMHO.

There is no way of marking a post as answered or anything and things are usually an ongoing discussion, but if you are satisfied with the answers given in your threads, you can just move on and others with similar problems might jump in or ask additional questions. We'll only close out threads that become inundated with spam or other things that violate the community guidelines..

I usually forget about showing some way of thanking a person who has helped me, so I was not sure how to do that with a few of your posts. I guess the icon with the thumbs up is the way to say, "You helped me." I hope so because I added some of those to a few of your replies that helped me. I did this after the fact, because I did not see this small thumbs up icon before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.