Imac G3 swap with modern parts

Reaction score
I know this sounds ridiculous but I am looking to take basically just the colored shell of the Imac G3 and put all new components inside it. I would like to have an i5 processor, modern graphics card, hard drive, etc- basically I would like to toss everything besides the shell, the ports, power supply, and the screen (I'm assuming I would have to save the screen as well).

Is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You'll have to toss the screen and power supply and ports, too. None of that is compatible with newer motherboards.

Anything is possible... how about fitting a Mac Mini plus "whatever fits" monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You could probably do it. Not sure what size screen you'd need. I think the original is a 13in screen? As for the motherboard, I doubt anything except a mini-atx board would fit, and the stand-offs most likely wouldn't line up, so you'd have to figure out some other way to anchor it in the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The only possibility would be to keep the CRT and analog board, remove the logic board and drive that from a Mac Mini board fitted in its place. You'd need to replace the original ATA HD with a modern SATA type, and the cabling would be a nightmare. IF it worked, you'd be viewing an old tired 15" CRT display at 1024 x 768, far from ideal. There's no space to fit a 15" LCD display in it's place. In reality, it's a non starter.

Reaction score
I know this sounds ridiculous but I am looking to take basically just the colored shell of the Imac G3 and put all new components inside it. I would like to have an i5 processor, modern graphics card, hard drive, etc- basically I would like to toss everything besides the shell, the ports, power supply, and the screen (I'm assuming I would have to save the screen as well).

Is this possible?

Yes it's possible and I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I've been thinking about doing the same thing for a long time. Here is an awesome job that someone did of swapping out the CRT of old eMac for a new flat screen LCD. The pictures prove it can be done.

ierna.com » blog » eMac LCD Conversion

That would free up enough space for a Mac Mini to fit inside. I've been shopping around looking for used Mini's on Craigslist. I found the following incredible deal, but it's too far to drive:

Mac Mini - i5 - 4GB Ram - 500gb - HD3000 - $400

the guy said "only a couple of months old. need to sell it for rent money."

So, my advice is: Proceed. Do it. You have discerning taste. The colored iMac shells are timeless design statements. I'm typing this note on my iMac DV+, bought by me for my 3rd grade twins in the summer of 2000. I've upgraded it along the way, mostly for free. I got a legal, licensed copy of OSX 10.4.11 for free, to upgrade it from OS 9. I got a free 7400 RPM hard drive. The only thing I had to buy was 1 mb of memory. $60 I think, something like that.

I love this computer!!!!! Ruby red and gorgeous. I still have the box, cd's, owners manual,etc. But I have a hankering to use it for YouTube, Final Cut Pro, iTunes Store, none of which it can do. Hence the idea to convert it, and run Mountain Lion in a 12 year old shell. Like people used to put Ford V8's in Jaguar XJS cars.

Good luck.
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.4 Ghz 76gmb Ram, needing: Macbook Pro 2011 2.6 GHz 8GB ram
you can just put a mac mini in the shell, then wire the mac mini to the display through the shell, but you may have to do some serious tinkering with the shell and screen though. Ive actually been wanting to do this, and then maybe hackintosh it. Once you get it done please tell me, cuz if you can figure it out that would be awesome.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and then maybe hackintosh it.

I know that you're a new member...so fair warning...we do not discuss this here.

Thanks,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.