Mac wont boot or respond to keyboard boot options

Reaction score
My iMac started acting up a while ago by freezing and having to be rebooted. There were no error msgs; it would just stay frozen until I did a hard-reboot. Then it progressed to white-screening and not booting at all. I thought one of my nieces may have inadvertently gotten a virus, while they were on a kid's website, so I decided to try a re-install. I was able to get both install CD's loaded but when it got to the "Set up your Mac..", where you select your country, it froze again. I had to do another hard-reboot and not it's sitting at the white screen. I've tried every keyboard combination I can find on the Internet and nothing gets a response. I can't even get it to boot into single-user or do the Apple hardware test. My best guess now is that it's a hardware problem (bad HDD or mem module), since it all started by random freezing. Does that seem correct, based on my description?

My desktop is sort of old...I think I got it around '07-'08 timeframe, so it's an Intel-based system. I would provide more specs but I can't it to boot!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No viruses for Mac OS X.

Suggest your problem may be a failing hard drive. Got the original system discs which came with the iMac? Pop disc in, reboot and hold down 'C'immediately after the chime and run Repair Disk from Disk Utilities in the Menu Bar. If it is not booting at all then your p[roblem may well be a failing or failed power supply.

OP
M
Reaction score
No viruses for Mac OS X.

Suggest your problem may be a failing hard drive. Got the original system discs which came with the iMac? Pop disc in, reboot and hold down 'C'immediately after the chime and run Repair Disk from Disk Utilities in the Menu Bar. If it is not booting at all then your p[roblem may well be a failing or failed power supply.

I do have the discs and I tried holding down 'C' but it won't boot from the disc. I also held down "Option" to get the boot manager, but that didn't work either. If I turn it off and unplug it from the wall, then turn it back on after 30+ minutes, it seems to do better. Not sure why that does anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.