PDF files wont open with safari

Reaction score
When i click on a PDF file in blackboard it goes to a grey screen and the PDF file does not open, i have to right click it and click download link and then it opens with adobe. What is wrong, safari use to open PDF's for me with no trouble

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First what version of OSX and what version of Safari? I take it you installed adobe reader?

Reaction score
I can't open either. My Mac OS X is 10.6.8, Adobe Reader is 10.1.4, Safari 5.1.7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Out of the box OSX opens PDF files in Preview. I prefer it to Adobe Reader. If you installed Adobe Reader it could have messed something up. Are these PDF files on the net or on your computer? If on your computer try Right Clicking and on Get Info. Look down toward the bottom and check Open With. Set it for Preview and click on Change All. Then try and open the PDF. If it's on the Web let us know, but I would try and remove Adobe Reader and see if Preview will then open them. I never made Adobe default so I am taking a guess.

OP
Reaction score
Out of the box OSX opens PDF files in Preview. I prefer it to Adobe Reader. If you installed Adobe Reader it could have messed something up. Are these PDF files on the net or on your computer? If on your computer try Right Clicking and on Get Info. Look down toward the bottom and check Open With. Set it for Preview and click on Change All. Then try and open the PDF. If it's on the Web let us know, but I would try and remove Adobe Reader and see if Preview will then open them. I never made Adobe default so I am taking a guess.
Yes, i am trying to open them off of my university's blackboard. I put adobe reader in the trash and it did not solve the problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After you removed Adobe Reader, did you follow the instructions that were given you by dtravis7?

Reaction score
My is already in the preview mode. But still can't open it from the internet nor save as nor download.
It use to work no problem.

Reaction score
I also removed Adobe Reader. The screen from the web still blank. It keep saying the document could not be export.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I told You above. Right click on pdf, click on Get Info, change to Preview, click Change all.

OP
Reaction score
I told You above. Right click on pdf, click on Get Info, change to Preview, click Change all.

there is no get info option when i right click on it, all i get is
Screenshot2012-09-16at60307PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That file is on the WEB. Get Info is for Files on the hard drive, not on a webpage. Don't you have any PDF files saved on your computer? That is where the setting is.

OP
Reaction score
That file is on the WEB. Get Info is for Files on the hard drive, not on a webpage. Don't you have any PDF files saved on your computer? That is where the setting is.

Did that, it still wont open them from the browser, i have to right click and then go to download linked file. But after i download it will open in preview

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you set Adobe Reader to be the reader for Safari and you didn't remove the plug-in itself, you'll run into trouble. Since dragging the application to the Trash doesn't remove the plug-in, this could be your problem. Open up Finder, push Shift-Command-G and enter the following: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. Look for a file names AdobePDFViewer.plugin. If it's there, delete it.

OP
Reaction score
If you set Adobe Reader to be the reader for Safari and you didn't remove the plug-in itself, you'll run into trouble. Since dragging the application to the Trash doesn't remove the plug-in, this could be your problem. Open up Finder, push Shift-Command-G and enter the following: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. Look for a file names AdobePDFViewer.plugin. If it's there, delete it.
Tried that and it still wont open, and i did exaclty as you typed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.