Itunes Match

Reaction score
Hey all

Not sure if this is the right place or not.

I'm looking into iTunes match. I've read a few things online and I think I have confused myself a bit.

If I have all my music on my iMac at home. If I want to listen to it via iPhone or Macbook it doesn't actually download them through onto the device correct? Obviously I am just worried about the space on my devices.

I've also read a bit about how some songs don't seem to be "uploaded' properly? Is there any particular reason why that is? (Like an obvious one not just a "glitch") Do the songs have to be from Itunes?

Reaction score
I am an iTunes Match user so I might be able to help some with this.

The songs do not have to be from iTunes, or even from a "legal" rip of a CD. WHat iTunes Match offers is a way to have all of your music available on all of your devices via direct streaming over the internet from the iTunes Match servers. So if you upload/match your iTunes Library it will be available to any iOS device or Mac using the same Apple ID to log in. Songs that are not matched are uploaded to the servers and all are available for either streaming or download on any device connected to your Apple ID.

This does mean that if you want to stream your music to something like an LTE iPad or an iPhone that unless you are using WiFi to connect it will use your data plan bandwidth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.