Problems with hdmi adapter and surround sound

Reaction score
Im having problems to get my iPad to play through my Yamaha surround sound system, I have the iPad to HDMI adapter this is routed through the Yamaha ysp 2200 and from their to the TV, the Yamaha works as an HDMI switch so 3 in to one out (tv)
It works if I go direct to tv with HDMI cable but the sound is only through the crappy tv speakers but once connected to the Yamaha it just plays on the iPad.
I have been told its something to do with the iPad thinking its connected to a recording device rather than TV is this correct? Is there a workaround?
It's only an issue on bbc I player as most other things can stream through the Apple TV, I can live with it but it's just spoiling a good set up

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Been awhile since I had a Yamaha, but I think it's setup is pretty similar to my Onkyo. Would suggest you just verify that the audio setup for the HDMI input you're using for the iPad is set to use that HDMI - I can change which audio input to use with the HDMI on mine.

Have not used my iPad for this since I have a computer permanently attached to my theater system. We do have some, so if there is a setting on the iPad, someone should chime in. But, if it's working with your TV, def would look at the Yamaha audio settings.

OP
T
Reaction score
Been awhile since I had a Yamaha, but I think it's setup is pretty similar to my Onkyo. Would suggest you just verify that the audio setup for the HDMI input you're using for the iPad is set to use that HDMI - I can change which audio input to use with the HDMI on mine.

Have not used my iPad for this since I have a computer permanently attached to my theater system. We do have some, so if there is a setting on the iPad, someone should chime in. But, if it's working with your TV, def would look at the Yamaha audio settings.

No I have tried that, if I plug a laptop to the same HDMI cable it works, iPad gets some feedback as the picture stops but the TV is just a blue screen with no sound, as I understand it the iPad handshakes with a Tv and is looking for feedback it's a TV, if it does not get this it assumes its connected to a recording device and stops sending the info, I have found a device called HDMI furry that connects between sender and receiver and replicates the feedback the iPad is looking for, I'm asking if there is a work around or cheaper solution as I don't want to spend another £60 just to watch Iplayer

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it won't work that way, the cheapest way would be to buy an audio cable to connect the audio from your TV to the receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.