Mac OSX Disk Utility

Reaction score
Hi, I am having some trouble with my external hard drive. It is a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent drive that I have had for a couple years. The trouble I'm having is that when I opened Disk Utility and tried to repair it, the message came up 'Invalid node structure', and "Invalid B-tree node size'. And finally 'Disk utility can't repair this disk'. I'm just wondering where I'm at here? Do I need to take it to an Apple repair store, or is there anything I can do to help this?

Many Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Warrior may be able to repair your hard drive but it's rather expensive to buy. Download from here.

Reaction score
Tech Tool Pro should also do the trick, and personally I prefer it to Disk Warrior as it does more. Both are worth having, though, as sometimes a bad drive can only be fixed with one or the other. If your directory gets too bad, (probably not the case this time) then the only hope would be an expensive recovery service like Disk Savers.

You really should "freshen" your directory once in a while, as standard maintenance.

The good news is that your Mac at least still sees the drive. It isn't completely dead.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The other item, that was not mentioned. You can repair a disk if it is mounted and you are you it (system disk). You will have to boot from another source and then repair the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.