Mail hangs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
I was trying to setup Mail on my Mac and tried to disable MobileMe. I was being prompted for a password for MobileMe, and since I never setup MobileMe, I went to Preferences and disabled it in one of the tabs.

Now when I go to Preferences in Mail, it freezes. I have to do a force quit. It looks like Mail works otherwise, as long as I don't go into Preferences.

I am running a Mac Mini mid 2010 w/ Lion.

Any ideas?

OP
skallal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
I made an appointment at the genius bar of my local Apple Store today. It turned out to be the MobileMe account. I apparently had a MobileMe account, though I never paid for one. That was the account that was hanging the Mail program when opening Preferences.

At first the Apple tech tried it and nothing crashed. Then he turned on WiFi and it hung. The solution was to turn off Internet access and remove the MobileMe account. And now my Mac universe is secure again.

I have to wonder how many other users have experienced issues since MobileMe has been discontinued. I am still running Lion and I've heard Mountain Lion has removed MobileMe, but not sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.