Moving files & folders instead of copying

Reaction score
Hey, I've been working with my MacBook for over two years now and I'm still very satisfied. Now I want to reorganize my files & folders to get more storage room. But here's the problem: as I move a folder to my external hard drive, my Finder starts copying it instead of moving it. Therefor I have to remove the folder on my MacBook afterwards, which takes a lot time (the folder is several GB) and this is quite annoying.
My question is: is there any way I can get my Finder to move the folder (to my external hard drive) and delete it from it's original location (somewhere on my MacBook) at once?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hold down Cmd as you Drag the item. This moves it.

Option + Drag, copies

Cmd+Option+Drag creates an alias.

Ian

Reaction score
Hold down Cmd as you Drag the item. This moves it.

Option + Drag, copies

Cmd+Option+Drag creates an alias.

Ian

I am trying to move my Movies folder to an external hard drive and even when I hold down the command key as I drag, the pop up window still shows "copy." Could I be doing something wrong?

Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear Patrick

I've tried to reproduce your problem without success. I've moved my Movie files back and forth between the Internal HD and an EHD as described above.

I mean no offence at all but Cmd + Drag means hold down and keep holding down the Cmd key, then use the mouse to drag, releasing the mouse before releasing the Cmd key.

I'm sure you know this only too well and I mean no insult.

What OS are you running and can I presume you have an Apple keyboard?

Ian

Reaction score
Dear Patrick

I've tried to reproduce your problem without success. I've moved my Movie files back and forth between the Internal HD and an EHD as described above.

I mean no offence at all but Cmd + Drag means hold down and keep holding down the Cmd key, then use the mouse to drag, releasing the mouse before releasing the Cmd key.

I'm sure you know this only too well and I mean no insult.

What OS are you running and can I presume you have an Apple keyboard?

Ian

Hi,
No offense taken! Try moving your Apple "Movies" folder. The one that was created by the Apple OS. When I try to move, I get the green + sign. I am able to move folders underneath this folder though. It must have something to do with the Apple setup of this folder. We are using the Lion OS I believe.

Thanks!

Reaction score
same problem

Hi,
No offense taken! Try moving your Apple "Movies" folder. The one that was created by the Apple OS. When I try to move, I get the green + sign. I am able to move folders underneath this folder though. It must have something to do with the Apple setup of this folder. We are using the Lion OS I believe.

Thanks!

IWhen I hold down command and drag it also copies for me as well. I have OSX 10.7.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.