Restoring macbook pro setting to factory

Reaction score
I had recently bought a use macbook pro from a friend of mine after mine was damage . I didn't know why but I keep getting this annoying message about connecting to some port whenever I watch video on it. I didn't know what was it so I deny any connection but later realize that may have been a mistake. I can no longer watch any video from certain link as it no longer load video hosted by a certain site. I know it not the website issue as I was able to watch movie from that site on my sister macbook pro. I don't really know how to reset the port setting so I decide to do it the easy way but apparently it not as easy as window. I don't have the CD/DVD for the laptop so I'm somewhat stuck and don't know what to do. My laptop is currently running on Lion and I want to keep the Lion (I heard Snow Lion is not that great). Can someone show me how to reset my setting. What is the most easiest way to reset it? Since the laptop is still under apple care, should I just take it to apple and have them do it for me (maybe I should but I not too sure if I have time for that because of school and studying). Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't need a physical disc with Lion. But you do need to own a copy. I.e. you should know the Apple ID and password used to buy Lion.

Once you're OK with that, do a backup, and then read fully and follow the Lion Recovery instructions. You can do a clean install or just a reinstall this way:
OS X: About OS X Recovery

OP
C
Reaction score
You don't need a physical disc with Lion. But you do need to own a copy. I.e. you should know the Apple ID and password used to buy Lion.

Once you're OK with that, do a backup, and then read fully and follow the Lion Recovery instructions. You can do a clean install or just a reinstall this way:
OS X: About OS X Recovery

I see, I can ask my friend for this account but let say I decide to upgrade it to mountain lion. Would the laptop be automatically restore to it default setting? Also if I purchase the mountain lion, can I use that purchase for more than one laptop (my house have 3 macbook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you buy Mountain Lion, which is probably the best way forward, it will do an in place upgrade. You wont lose anything. Though I'd recommend taking a backup first.

You can install Mountain Lion on all three of the Macs in your home

OP
C
Reaction score
If you buy Mountain Lion, which is probably the best way forward, it will do an in place upgrade. You wont lose anything. Though I'd recommend taking a backup first.

You can install Mountain Lion on all three of the Macs in your home

Okay I purchase the mountain lion and install it but I want to make a clean installation (I want the computer setting to be restore to it default). I restart the laptop and press command + R. I was brought to a window that gave me several option like time machine (there no file), reinstall mountain lion, disk untility, and online help. I click on the reinstall and it gave me two drive, a recovery HD disk and an untiltle one. I can't overwrite the recovery HD so I'm not sure what to do. If I reinstall it in the other drive, will it bring the computer back to it factory setting. Thank you and sorry for all the question

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I reinstall it in the other drive, will it bring the computer back to it factory setting. Thank you and sorry for all the question

Yes, that's the drive where you should install Mountain Lion.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, that's the drive where you should install Mountain Lion.

Okay I reinstall it in the untitle drive (I was not able to do it on the recovery HD) but I'm still unable to view video for that site. It keep telling me that video is not found and I know that the video is working because when I use my sister or dad macbook to watch, it work. The video also work on my window computer. What should I do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the exact error you are getting?

If it's a public video can you post a link to it?

OP
C
Reaction score
What's the exact error you are getting?

If it's a public video can you post a link to it?

Nothing much. It try to load the video and then just tell me the video cannot be found. When that happen I run over to the other computer and try it with the same exact video but for the other computer (the two other macbook pro and my dell laptop), the video work just fine. I go back to my macbook and try to reload the video and it still give me that message and then that cycle repeat itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... the exact error and a link would really help but ok.....

You see the first error you got you said referred to a port issue, but the latest issue is file not found so something has changed. Without specifics it's hard to diagnose to be honest.

1. does the same issue happen in different browsers? Safari, Firefox, Chrome?
2. does YouTube and Vimeo video work?

OP
C
Reaction score
sorry my problem seem to not be clear. My main problem is with the video not playing for certain site. I believe it a port connection problem since these video work before but it stop working when I keep getting a message that ask me to connect to something through some port and I deny it (forever). After that the video stop working for that certain site. I have not try using it with other browser as I only have and use safari on my mac. Youtube video work fine, alot of the video still play, but it the movie for certain site is not playing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.