Stylewriter 6500 won't print... ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I have an old stylewriter 6500 which prints fine when I connect it to my PowerTower Pro (PM 9500 clone) via the serial cable. I wanted to get rid of the old PTP so I got an AsanteTalk localtalk to ethernet adapter (the SW6500 is suposed to be LT ready). I can't get it to print from any of my OSX machines.

Here is what I have tried so far: I hooked it up using the asante talk, opened the terminal and typed 'atlookup'. The printer is recognized as 'Color Stylewriter 6500: colorstylewriter6000', so the asantetalk seems to be doing what its supposed to. I then installed Gimp-Print to get a CUPS driver for the SW6500. When I set up the printer in print center and enter the URl as PAP//*/Color%20stylewriter%206500/colorstylewriter6000 with the apropriate driver it seems to set up OK. However, when I try to print it gives me a Printer not responding error dialog.

I tried all these exact steps using my Laserwriter 12/640 PS, and it worked like a charm. What am I doint wrong with the stylewriter? Does anyone have experience using localtalk, appletalk, ethertalk or whatever in OSX? Any help would be really apreciated.

thanks,
JRH

PS: this printer has a parallel port. Would parallel to USB be easier to set up?

OP
jhelm007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Nevermind I just needed to put a '%20' after 6500 and before the '/'

Thanks anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.