Trying to decide.. G4 or G5

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly I should do with getting a new to me (used) iMac. I found a bunch of G4's that are mint condition, but I'm not sure what great improvement it will be over the G3. But aren't they are a little more reliable? The G5 I'm looking at it is $75 and the CD drive doesn't work or something and the screen isn't as bright as it used to be, and I've seen some many that just have lines through the screen and failing logic boards and such. So I'm torn.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're looking for some sort of support (or advice)...you really should be more specific regarding the computers you're considering. Saying "G4's" or "G5's" is not very specific.

These could be:

- desktop computers like the G4 or G5 Powermac's
- desktop G4 Mac-Mini's
- desktop G4 or G5 iMac's

Since you mentioned something about a "screen" with the G5...I'm assuming the G5 is a G5 iMac...but still not 100% what G4 model you're talking about.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
They're both the all-in-one iMacs. The G4 being the one on a swivel arm and the G5 being the 17" non-isight model. So yeah they're both the iMac desktops..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They're both the all-in-one iMacs. The G4 being the one on a swivel arm and the G5 being the 17" non-isight model. So yeah they're both the iMac desktops..

From a performance standpoint I would definitely get the G5 iMac over the G4 iMac. But if you say that the specific G5 iMac has display problems…then I would skip it. I would also probably stay away from the G4 iMac well…it's just too old & slow.

But then it also depends on your goals for the computer…and the price. If the price is low & you just want to "fool-around" with this old computer…then get it. But if this is going to be someones "main" computer…then skip it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Nick suggests give the G4 a wide berth. If the pocket runs to it, look for an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac which are reasonably priced. If things are tight go with the G5 and run OS X.5 Leopard on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.