Kindle Fire HD

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm kind of surprised no one has posted anything about it yet. It seems be a pretty impressive piece of hardware for the price.

Linky to the specs of the 7" one.

There is also an 8.9" one. Comes in wifi only and Wifi+4G LTE version.

Can read all about them at Amazon's website of course. I'm debating on buying one. We will see though. ^-^

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 8.9" model with 4G LTE certainly looks interesting especially since it appears that buying data will be less expensive than my iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE model. No retina display but almost $300 cheaper than the iPad with the same specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Tempting, but I'll probably wait to see if that rumored $249 "iPad Mini" ever materializes. I'd be down for either, but would like to stick to something that runs/sync/etc in a similar fashion to what I use now. Actually, the more I think about it, I'll probably buy neither and just hang on to my money for a while. They say food is going to be pricey this Fall.

Reaction score
I'm interested in the 8.9" non-4G version. But should I up the memory to 32gb for $70 and the warranty to two years for $90? My previous Kindle died two weeks out of warranty (and they weren't at all interested) so I'm a bit wary about reliability.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The 8.9" model with 4G LTE certainly looks interesting especially since it appears that buying data will be less expensive than my iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE model. No retina display but almost $300 cheaper than the iPad with the same specs.

I'd like to know more about the data prices too. All I've seen is the ~$4/month ($49 per year) plan mentioned in the ad, but that only gives 250MB per month of data.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That sure dropped the value of the two 1st gen Fires I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's the first time the Fire range has been available in the UK.

We aren't getting the 9" model - well no annoucement yet anyway.

But £129 as the entry level 7" tablet is very good value.

The 16gb and 32gb HDs are priced the same as the more powerful 8gb and 16gb Nexus 7s respectively.

So the pricing is bang on.

However the Amazon UK music store and LoveFilm are not a patch on what's available on the US Amazon Prime package. So I'd say they are more attractive as a browser/email/mild apps device than a full blown media consumption device as it's pitched in the US.

Providing they've eradicated the slightly sluggish behaviour of the customised ICS front end I think they'll do really well in the UK.

More and more people keep asking me about small tablet, not wanting to reach the £329 entry asking price for the iPad2.

There's definitely a fight for the 7" tablet market

Reaction score
Price-wise the Apple device is not in the same market - at any rate, till Apple reduce their rather astronomical prices. But the new Fire does have very serious competition, from the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy 2, both of which are cheaper still. I wonder how it stacks up against these.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Price-wise the Apple device is not in the same market - at any rate, till Apple reduce their rather astronomical prices. But the new Fire does have very serious competition, from the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy 2, both of which are cheaper still. I wonder how it stacks up against these.

Time will tell. I want to see some benchmarks before I go out and get one. This tablet seems very nice though. It is geared towards entertainment which is a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Amazon's new Fires are all ad-supported with no way to opt out, as of now. This may change but I doubt it.

As for the actual devices, especially the 7in model, its a direct competitor to the Nexus 7. But the Nexus 7 is going to be a much better experience. Its Google's flagship device and ships with the newest and greatest version of Android, 4.1. Most likely it will see several updates to its OS. The Fire runs Android 4.0 (I've yet to determine if this version of Android is Amazon's Android like the original Fire or native Android) but probably won't see any major OS updates.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I just don't understand how they think they're going to get away with making people pay a decent amount of money for the devices AND have ads on it? Selling the devices for drastically reduced prices while showing ads is one thing..but if I'm putting down $250 for the device, I definitely do not want to see any ads on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I just don't understand how they think they're going to get away with making people pay a decent amount of money for the devices AND have ads on it? Selling the devices for drastically reduced prices while showing ads is one thing..but if I'm putting down $250 for the device, I definitely do not want to see any ads on it.

Exactly. The previous version of the Kindle Reader had ads, but its was $40 cheaper. The new reader, the Kindle Paperwhite(?) is only $20 cheaper for the ad version. The Fires (and it has been confirmed by Arstechnica) on has the ad-supported version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.