serious wireless airport help needed.

B

Bastaroid

Sorry about this but please try to bear with me. I'm brand new to Macs so I don't know much of the lingo.

I have a G5 with airport that i'm trying to establish a wireless connection to the internet with. Where the G5 sits, I KNOW that there's a signal because I can connect with a Windows laptop at the same location. I've gotten the G5 to at least recognize that there is a signal but it always tells me I need a password to connect, which i shouldn't. there is a encryption key but i tried entering that as the password but it doesn't work.
also, I want to set the G5 as a client. none of this base station crap. i don't even know what a base station is.

If you need more info, let me know. if you can help AT ALL, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
have you run the network setup assisant? go into system preferences and there should be an assist me button. click that and follow the directions.

OP
B

Bastaroid

now it's not recognizing the signal again. the signal shouldn't be that weak. it is version 3.4 which i've heard does have problems with that. is there any way i can update that since i can't get to the internet on that computer?

OP
B

Bastaroid

It's my brothers and I think he's had it for a year. do you want me to write up the system profiler stats?

Reaction score
Well, I'm just asking because when I got mine it kept asking rejecting my password also. I just changed my password and everything worked fine after that. I'm very new to this, so I'm sure I won't be much help. I'm struggling with my own network issues as well. I can't seem to share my printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Bastaroid said:
in the Mac world does Password=Encryption Key?

Nope. The password is the password to gain access to certain networks, but not the Hexadecimal encryption key.

What brand of wireless router are you working with here, that may shed some light on things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just for grins, turn of all the security you may have on the router (WEP, WPA MAC addressing, whatever) and see if it can join.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ive had a huge headache with getting my 2wire modem to work with my macbook (airport express) wireless card. after alot of time with tech support from apple and my isp they basically have said that 2wire and the macbooks are not compatable and to purchase a separate router that is. There explanation was that they can see each other, which would explain why you can see your network, but cant communicate due to a different encryption (?) or something thats why the password is not being recognized even though you are entering the correct one. weird thing is it worked for a while, my airport express then when my modem got disconnected i was back to no internet with airport wireless card.

...so i just went ahead and bought a belkin (F5D7050) usb wireless g usb network adapter (around 30$) and downloaded ralink's (the manufacturer of belkins products and others) driver for macosx. this so far has been the only solid way of getting my wireless to work. hopefully this works cheers :)

Reaction score
Password problems

Hello Bastaroid,

I am having EXACTLY the same problem. My PC wireless connection is fine but the MAC is asking for a password that is not the WPA encryption key.

Sorry I'm no help but totally sympathise! If anything works for me I'll let you know

S

Reaction score
Password solution

Hello Bastaroid,

I sorted out my password prblem. I am using WEP and when you put the password in you have to use quotation marks. Is your password 13 characters? If it is then it means (I think) it's 128bit encryption. Try putting in "*************".

Hope it works for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.