Deleting unwanted templates

Reaction score
My system defaults to saving documents as .docx and therefore flood "My Templates" is there a way of preventing this default and for those I did not catch, is there a way to find them and erase them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What exactly are you wanting to do? If you're using Word 2011 it automatically defaults to the *.docx file format. You can change that if you desire from within Word. But it has nothing to do with "My Templates" since templates do not have a file extension of *.docx. Templates are *.dotm.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, that clears up part of my confusion, What I really want to do is clean up "My Templates" it has a bunch of garbage, for some reason I can not find the folder to just go to and delete unwanted items. How do I delete un-wanted templates that somehow ended up in My Templates

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, now that I know what you're trying to do, we can fix the problem. First you need to unhide your user library folder which is hidden by default in Lion and Mountain Lion. Follow these steps below:

Open your terminal application. Applications, Utilities, terminal.app

Type the following in the terminal:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/ and press enter. After that, exit the terminal by typing "exit". Your user library folder will now show up in the Finder.

Next, open your Finder and navigate to here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/

You can remove all the templates listed there except do not remove the "normal.dotm" template as that is needed by Word. I suggest instead of deleting those templates that you move them to your desktop and keep them there for a bit to make sure they're not needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.