• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best settings for DVD quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4s | iPad 2 | 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz 1TB
I have created my movie on iMovie, its currently just under 25mins long and the original footage was 1080p HD. The finished video i now want to be optimised for DVD quality. Im not sure what settings i need or what to do next (first time using iMovie). I clicked finalise project and it said converting to 1080p HD video and the estimated time at the start was 4 HOURS!! So what settings should i use to keep the good quality but perhaps knock a few hours of that time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
All Finalise does is create a copy of your movie in every resolution possible and make them available via the Media Browser. If you don't won't that then there's no need to do it.

Your exporting at full HD, so it's going to take some time anyway.

Do you have iDVD? If so just share direct to that from iMovie's Share menu.

Standard dvd resolution is only 720x576 or 720x480, so there's no need to export at 1080 anyway.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I exported it at full resolution which was 1080p so i have the video at a really nice quality, currently in .mov format. My mac didn't come with iDVD, if it did then it would make things a lot easier. I have tried BURN which apparently is meant to be a free alternative to iDVD. When i tried with the video at 780p it converted it to a different format to burn and the end result looked pretty bad, i tried again with the 1080p video and it was better but still not very sharp. There must be a way to retain the original quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
it converted it to a different format to burn
Yes it will as dvds use the mpeg2 format.

the end result looked pretty bad, i tried again with the 1080p video and it was better but still not very sharp
That's because of the resolution of standard dvds as mentioned above.

There must be a way to retain the original quality?
You can't burn anything other than standard dvds on your Mac. For anything better you will have to buy an external Bluray dvd burner and use Roxio's Toast.
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD, DVD, Blu-Ray Burning Software Program for Mac

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, thats not really the answer i was hoping for but its made it clearer for me :)
Its a wedding video so i thought they would like it playable on DVD player as well as on the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I clicked finalise project and it said converting to 1080p HD video and the estimated time at the start was 4 HOURS!!
I've just Exported an 8 minute Project as a large movie and it took about 30 minutes. HD will take a lot longer depending on your processor speed. Mine's 2GHz.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the 26minute video it only took an hour. This was exporting it at 1080p, when i clicked finalize it said 4 hours so i dont know why that was supposed to take so much longer. Ive got a 2.7Ghz processor, latest 21.5" iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was exporting it at 1080p, when i clicked finalize it said 4 hours so i dont know why that was supposed to take so much longer.
Probably because of all the different copies it's producing. Another reason not to Finalise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.