Set printer to mono?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Hard to determine which forum to put this in but here goes.

Mountain lion, but applies to all cats.

Anybody know how to force a standard laser printer (Hp laser jet 1320 in my case) into black or white mode only? If I try to print a page off most web sites, some or most of the colors show up as a barely readable light gray. Maybe they do that on purpose to keep down the printing, but even on a page where they want you to print, such as a form to sign and send in, sometimes the entire form is mostly illegible.

I assumed that an option would be in the printer driver, but if so, I am overlooking it.

Ideas, anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Frankly, this was easy to do in Windows but I haven't found a way to do it in OS X yet.... The way I did it in Windows was to identify the printer as an older model that was black and white only and use the driver for it. Worked like a charm. However, in OS X, you can't easily (or at all) identify a color printer as an older BW model and install the driver for it. The system just won't allow it.

Maybe someone else has a method of doing it. I would also like to use my Epson and Canon printers as BW only. My HP LaserJet is BW only so no problem there. :)

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I hacked up a solution that isn't elegant but works.

Using Chrome, print to a PDF, the load the PDF in to Preview and export as black and white.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, if it works, it works. Better to have a not so elegant solution than no solution at all. I'll try that myself the next time I need to print BW from one of my color printers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.