changing save location on individual downloads

Reaction score
I upgraded to OS X a few months ago and noticed a change in downloads. My files all download to my download file, which is fine, but it used to be that once you opened the file, if you wanted to save the file in another location, you could click "Save As" and then save that file to another folder. This no longer appears to be an option.

From what I can tell, now I have to duplicate the file, then "save as." I'm sure this extra step isn't a big deal for most people, but I get a lot of downloaded files and it becomes pretty tedious to have to do this extra step.

Anyone know why they changed this or if there is any quicker way to change the location of individual files right after you download them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have to provide us with more information if you expect us to give you an answer.

Which version of OS X are you running? Which browser do you primarily use when you download files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't use Firefox but with Chrome you can select the "save as" download location. In Chrome, open Settings, go to advanced and place a check in the box that says "ask where to save each time you download".

The latest version of Safari does not have that option. It will only save to where you initially say. You would have to change it each time. I can't help you with Firefox but I suspect it may have a similar option to Chrome unless it's been removed in the latest version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.