Extra Video Card for a G5

A

andrew_fenner

I would like to run the video output of my Mac G5 on 2 monitors instead of just the one.

Can anyone reccomend a video card that would allow that? I have aquired an old PC (see previous post) which has an extra video card which can run 2 monitors. Can I canabalise this machine for it's video card?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
No, a PC video card won't work.

Anyway, the stock video card in every PowerMac G5, and even in most PowerMac G4, is capable of driving two screens. All you need is the appropriate adapter.
Depending on which card you have, you have either one ADC and one DVI connector, or 2 DVI connectors.
There are adapters from ADC to DVI, and ADC to VGA (depending on which one you need), so you can easily hook up a second screen.

OP
A

andrew_fenner

Thanks. According to my manual I have an ADC and a DVI connector. It came with a connector to change one of them into a VGA, but I don't know which one!

Basically, the adaptor fits on the shorter od the 2 connectors (the one on the left as you look at it from the back). I think this is the DVI one. Where can I get a ADC to VGA adaptor from?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Here, for example:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1299

But there are many other places. Yes, the adaptor that came with your Mac is DVI to VGA. The ADC connector is the one with rounded edges, and no screw holes to hold the connector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.