Face recognition

Reaction score
Hi, my friend has been telling me that her sister has this thing on her Mac Book that sorts all her photos into folders of each person via face recognition, how can I get this on my iMac? I am running Lion on a late 2009

Thanks Muchly :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Download KeyLemon for Mac - Lock or unlock your Mac with face recognition. MacUpdate.com
It does take a bit of fiddling to get it to work, good luck!

Ibanezi

I don't believe the OP was asking about this, but it looks interesting nonetheless..

I recently spent some time with Picasa and imported all of the pictures that I've been keeping on my Mac in no particular order. Part of the import process was that it collected all of them by the date but then this version of Picasa also has face recognition built in so it scanned through all of my pictures and asked me to tag them. I created a bunch of new contacts and tagged a few and without a few tries it tagged the rest of them on it's own.

Now the pictures aren't moved to a separate folder but within Picasa there is now a list of people that I can click to see all the pictures they appear in. Quite fun and handy..

Reaction score
As mentioned, the software program Picassa has facial recognition.

I'm told it can scan your hard drive photos or "capture images from the web" once you've assigned a face to the search.

This is second hand info - I received a photo collage of a family member and thanked her for the 'hard work'. She said "Picassa. It scanned my photos for your image and created this collage."

Reaction score
Whoops... I musta misunderstood the question, sorry....

OP
L
Reaction score
Yep, its iPhoto that I need to get. Thanks for the help guys :)

Im running Lion, do I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion before I can get iPhoto? From the App store thats how it looks to me?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Well to me it seemed like (to cast an example) someone asked "hey, is there a good smartphone around?" and everyone replying with various Android models, forgetting the obvious.

And since you apparently weren't aware that iPhoto did it (judging from your reply), I thought it important to mention.

To lylasmummy: iPhoto should have been included on your Mac. If for some strange reason it is not there, you can buy it from the Mac App Store for $15 I believe. The latest version SHOULD work with Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion, but check the specs on the Mac App Store page for iPhoto to be sure.

I'd also suggest the upgrade to Mountain Lion if your machine is eligible. For $20 you get a lot of nice features and polish.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well to me it seemed like (to cast an example) someone asked "hey, is there a good smartphone around?" and everyone replying with various Android models, forgetting the obvious.

And since you apparently weren't aware that iPhoto did it (judging from your reply), I thought it important to mention.

And unless the people making suggestions have used all sorts of smartphones out there, they'll recommend just the one that they know about and like.

The WHOLE idea about having a discussion on their forums is to solicit multiple opinions on what you are seeking and then see what works best for you.

I suggested one option, and you suggested a second, but my point was that you could have just made the suggestion without the preamble. I didnt care very much for that.

C

chas_m

As you seem to be prone to misinterpreting me, I'll just say that I think it's best to start with what a poster is likely to have already on their Mac and THEN move on to third-party solutions. Sorry if you thought I was jumping on you.

OP
L
Reaction score

To lylasmummy: iPhoto should have been included on your Mac. If for some strange reason it is not there, you can buy it from the Mac App Store for $15 I believe. The latest version SHOULD work with Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion, but check the specs on the Mac App Store page for iPhoto to be sure.

I'd also suggest the upgrade to Mountain Lion if your machine is eligible. For $20 you get a lot of nice features and polish.

Thanks for your help. No its not there for some reason, I bought it 2nd hand and its running Lion, late 09 model. I will upgrade to Mountain Lion and then download iPhoto. THANKS again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.