After SSD upgrade old hard disk needs files recovered :S

Reaction score
Hey guys, really hope you can help me, i'm freakin' out bigstyle!

Last night I successfully performed the SSD drive upgrade on my mid 2010 Macbook Pro.
The old drive went into the optical bay and using Ccloner I was able to get Mountain Lion fired up on the SSD. At that point everything was going smoothly.

Then it was annoying me that every time i tried to do anything on the old hard disk (now my secondary drive) it asked me for my system password. So i went into Disk Utility, tried 'Verify Disk' and that told me to 'Repair the Disk'. Tried this and it failed saying the disk needs to be reformatted. Then suddenly the icon disappeared from my desktop and the drive is no longer shown in Finder (although i can still see it in Disk Utility). Ahh!!

I have years of photos on there that are irreplaceable and like a muppet i made no backups.

Please can someone suggest a way that i can get in there and copy them out before i do this reformat?

Thanks so much,

Leigh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try using data recovery software to see if you can extract what's on the old hard drive to the SSD where you can back it up to an external drive of DVDs.

Data Rescue 3 is one of the best data recovery software programs but it's a bit pricey at $99. You might want to download the trial version first to see if it can recover your data. Here's the LINK.

BTW, you should have left your old hard drive where it was and placed the SSD in the optical bay. The sudden motion detector only works from the standard SATA bay not the optical bay. And since a SSD does not need it, it should be placed in the optical bay.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Chscag,

I'll give the Recovery software a shot, fingers crossed it works.

About the 'Sudden Motion Detector' stuff... the reason i switched them round is because I read somewhere online that the write speeds are twice as fast from the main bay (6GB vs 3GB). Do you know if this is true?
If not i'll take your advice and will swap them back around just as soon as i've salvaged my photos.

Thanks heaps!

Leigh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if that's true or not. I would certainly do more research to see if that is really the case, and if it's not, switch them around. Good luck with the data recovery. Data Rescue 3 is great software. I have a copy that I bought on sale a while back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.