A1278 MBP 13" Trouble

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, althou I've perused a lot! It's been a great resource and I hope I can contribute something positive as well now that am a member,

For now, I'm having trouble with a 13" MacBook Pro (A1278) Late 2011 model. Sme water was spilled on it and I got the laptop about three weeks after it happened, so there was corrosion build-up. I proceeded to clean the logicboard with denatured alcohol and let it properly dry.

However, when I connect the magsafe adapter, I only get a very very dim green light and the computer doesn't power on. I get the same result when I disconnect the battery as well.

Furthermore, I've noticed that the chip in the center of the picture I've attached heats up like crazy when I plug the computer into power. Can anyone identify the chip and what it's for?

10xts38.jpg

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer me, I'm willing to try anything!

Thanks!

--SIcmart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Looks to be trashed. Plan on $750 for a new logic board from Apple.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for your help and input guys.

I sent the laptop in to a professional repair shop. Hopefully they can fix it, if not I get a full refund. I have nothing to lose.

Thanks again and if they fix it, I'll post a good review of them on here so that people in the future know a place they can trust!

-SIcmart

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Good luck . . . hope everything turns out well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.