Adding SSD to 2012 MBP

Reaction score
Hi guys,
1st time on the forum and first time mac user. It really is "Insanely great".

I received my new MBP today as well as a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD and im just waiting on a caddy to arrive.

My original plan was to replace the HDD with the SSD and place the HDD in a caddy and replace the superdrive with it.

However, ive watched a good few videos on youtube showing this but a few people on overclockers tell me to stick the SSD in the caddy where the superdrive is an let the HDD remain where it is to restrict any unwanted noise.

Can i hav some opinions please.

I look forward to talking to you all

Darren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Do a simple search through the forums. You will find LOTS of opinions on this.

Short and simple:

Having the OS drive in the optibay can lead to some erratic sleeping/hibernating issues.
The HDD bay is made to absorb slight shocks with its cushions. It also is controlled by a gyro motion sensor to shut the hdd off and park it if it senses any sudden motions that might cause damage to the drive.

Searching you give you more details.

What I would recommend:
Get rid of the hdd from your MBP all together. Keep it as an external drive for data. Save up for 2 solid-state drives for your MBP and you'll be in business:D

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, so i think i may go with the option of putting the ssd into the caddy and into the optibay.

When using norton ghost that came with the samsung ssd, can i keep whats on the hdd as a back up?

what way do i then choose the ssd as the boot drive or is this all covered in norton ghost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Ghost can never be used with cloning with OSX, you have to use either Carbon copy or Super duper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
i have been using 830 ssd from samsung, fact is ghost is for window system.

OP
L
Reaction score
i have been using 830 ssd from samsung, fact is ghost is for window system.

Did you use carbon cloner or what?

Give me a little breakdown of the steps you took if you dont mind. Last thing i want is to cock up everything!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Get yourself an external enclosure, plug in to ssd,
Then, initialize it using Disk Utility.
Then, launch CCC.
On the left, pick your "source drive" (your current internal)
On the right, pick your "target" (your new drive)
Then, choose to backup everything and let CCC do its thing.

When this is done, you should have a Bootable clone of your internal drive. Before you swap drives, try a test boot by doing this:
1. Restart
2. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
3. In a few moments, the startup manager should appear
4. Use the mouse or arrow key to select the ssd,

then hit enter
5. You should now boot from the external
CAUTION! Once you get to the desktop, the new docked drive should "show up" EXACTLY as your old internal -- it's important not to get the two confused. You can check to see from which drive you're booted by going to the "About this Mac" menu item (right under the apple menu). I suggest you give the ssd drive a distinctive name, and also change its desktop picture to remind you it's NOT the internal.
If you get a good boot, if everything looks as it should be -- then it's time to "do the swap".
and you have the ssd drive working.
As for the optical drive with old drive I believe you can keep the data in there.

OP
L
Reaction score

Sweet. Thanks for the help so far. I will start shortly.

In regards to everything i have on the hdd (which isnt alot as i only got the mbp yesterday). This will remain as it is should anything happen to the ssd letting me resort back to the hdd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Sweet. Thanks for the help so far. I will start shortly.

In regards to everything i have on the hdd (which isnt alot as i only got the mbp yesterday). This will remain as it is should anything happen to the ssd letting me resort back to the hdd?
Let us make life easier, you just have to use the ssd as your hd drive. leave the optic drive as it is.Keep the original hd out, if ssd is not okay, always put original one back.

OP
L
Reaction score
Then, launch CCC.

Ive ultilised it by creating one partition (journled) now im in ccc. When selecting the backup method. i take it i choose the 1st option: "temporarily archive modified and deleted item"???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
yes, follow on screen instruction.

OP
L
Reaction score
good man. The reason i want the hdd to remain is im planning on using that for storage. music, pictures etc etc. The SSD is only 128gb and would probably do me for now but id like to have the extra storage to hand

Unless i do as you say as it will probably be a while before id get close to the 128gb limit as im not a big gamer and there wont be massive amounts of programs installed. And get an external enclosure as you suggest???

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry mate. its saying i dont have a recovery partition. Would this be recommended?

Shall i go back in and create 2 partitions, one as a recovery say 25gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
"And get an external enclosure as you suggest??? "
You do not have to get an external enclosure, if you have the cable from samsung to transfer data.
I do not know what you have for osx, if it is Lion then the CCC is free. otherwise if Mountain Lion, you may have to use super duper to clone, it is free.

OP
L
Reaction score
"And get an external enclosure as you suggest??? "
You do not have to get an external enclosure, if you have the cable from samsung to transfer data.
I do not know what you have for osx, if it is Lion then the CCC is free. otherwise if Mountain Lion, you may have to use super duper to clone, it is free.

Yea im running ML. Im just wondering whether or not i need to create a recovery partition on the ssd?

The external enclosure would be for the hdd should i keep it out and just use it as and when needed!!

Sorry for the hassle!!\

edit: CCC is ready for ML by the way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have a mountain lion installer created I do not know about recovery partition.
you do not have to buy the external enclosure if you so desire, what I meant is you can use the samsung sata to usb cable to create back up.

OP
L
Reaction score
Then, launch CCC.

When this is done, you should have a Bootable clone of your internal drive. Before you swap drives, try a test boot by doing this:
1. Restart
2. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
3. In a few moments, the startup manager should appear
4. Use the mouse or arrow key to select the ssd,

then hit enter
5. You should now boot from the external
CAUTION! Once you get to the desktop, the new docked drive should "show up" EXACTLY as your old internal -- it's important not to get the two confused. You can check to see from which drive you're booted by going to the "About this Mac" menu item (right under the apple menu). I suggest you give the ssd drive a distinctive name, and also change its desktop picture to remind you it's NOT the internal.
If you get a good boot, if everything looks as it should be -- then it's time to "do the swap".
and you have the ssd drive working.
As for the optical drive with old drive I believe you can keep the data in there.

ok so tht didnt exactly work. When i restarted as you said it booted and gave me the option to select the ssd but when i done that it went into os x ultility manager

???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.