How to unistall mac os x

Reaction score
Please can some one let me know how to uninstall and reinstall mac os x. I have been on apple help page and have been advised to hold down command and R key while my computer starts so as to restore it to a point in time, this doesn't work. What else can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You need to consider that we're not there to see what you're doing, so you need to give us WAY more info.
What Mac model? What version OS X? What happened when you used command-r?
Restore to a certain point in time? Are you using Time Machine for backup?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the response. My version is the mac osx.
I don't use time machine for back up.
When I used the command-R keys my computer started just like it would start normally except for the fact that there was a little screeching noise inside and a bit slow in starting.

Reaction score
Try holding down the Option key at startup. You will get a disk menu. Select the Restore disk and go from there.
I've had instances where Command-R didn't work for some reason.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no such OS as THE MAC OSX. We need a version Number. What Model is your Mac? IMac? Macbook? MBP? What year? What specs?

Click the Apple in the top left corner of the screen and on about this Mac, What version does it say OSX is. 10.5.8? 10.6.7? 10.7.4? 10.8.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi, how do I uninstall and reinstall mac xo s all together

You didn't mention what version of OS X you want to install, but I assume you don't want to save any information and do what's known as a "clean" install. Here are links to the steps for a couple versions of OS X:
How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion
Explaining the Mac OS X Lion Clean Install
How To Do A Fresh Install of Snow Leopard and Recover Your iLife Software
Installing OS X 10.5 Leopard - Erase and Install Method for OS X 10.5 Leopard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged.

@didi2003: There's no need to start a 2nd thread for the exact same topic/thread you started on September 5th. If you continue providing info & answering the questions asked of you in that thread…it makes more sense to everyone.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
installing and uninstalling mac os x

Hi folks, the version I wish to uninstall and reinstall from scratch is the mac os x 10.6.8. I have two mac installation cds but I dont know how to go about this. Thanks for any assistance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi folks, the version I wish to uninstall and reinstall from scratch is the mac os x 10.6.8. I have two mac installation cds but I dont know how to go about this. Thanks for any assistance

It's VERY easy. Boot the computer with your OS install DVD (hold down the "c" key when booting). Then follow the onscreen instructions.

- Nick

p.s. If those two installation CDs you have are gray-colored…did they originally come with your computer? If not…they will not work with your computer.

p.s.s. For more information on Mac OS install disks…read this (READ THE STICKIES)!!!:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi , can some one help? I just inserted my installation cd to reinstall mac os x 10.6.8. However the cd is stuckin my pc and nothing is happening. What next can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What computer are you using and did the discs come with it? If not make sure you are using black full retail install OS X.6 DVD's. Restart and hold down the mouse or trackpad key to eject the disc whatever it is.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Let me ask this question.. why do you feel the need to reinstall?

By its nature, OS X very rarely needs to be reinstalled. This is a bad habit many of us bring from Windows, where it truly is necessary periodically. OS X, by its nature, does not suffer from what I like to call "Windows rot".

So, before you go with the "tac-nuke from space" approach, maybe you should share what the problem is and we can help you correct it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi I dont know exactly what happens when a system is said to have crashed but I do believe mine has.
My computer is exceptionally slow in opening applications aswell as internet programs. Some applications will not even run at all.
For example my dreamweaver cs6 app I have keep saying system error when I try to run it.
My memory is almost full with unwanted programs that I don't know where they come from
For example my picture folder has quadripuled, ie every picture appears four times. I don't know where to start deleting so I reckon the best to do is restore my computer to factory settings.
I will like you to know it all started about 2 months ago when some drops of water fell on my keyboard. So I donot know if the problem is linked to this.
It is also worth mentioning that I have windows installed on my pc. This is as slow as the mac too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi I dont know exactly what happens when a system is said to have crashed but I do believe mine has.
My computer is exceptionally slow in opening applications aswell as internet programs. Some applications will not even run at all.
For example my dreamweaver cs6 app I have keep saying system error when I try to run it.
My memory is almost full with unwanted programs that I don't know where they come from
For example my picture folder has quadripuled, ie every picture appears four times. I don't know where to start deleting so I reckon the best to do is restore my computer to factory settings.
I will like you to know it all started about 2 months ago when some drops of water fell on my keyboard. So I donot know if the problem is linked to this.
It is also worth mentioning that I have windows installed on my pc. This is as slow as the mac too.

Before you go any further, it would be prudent to run an extended hardware test on the machine to make sure you actually have a software issue (which is what reinstalling would address) and not a failing hard drive or another malady.

When you're trying to fix a house, it's best to make sure the foundation is solid before you start polishing doorknobs.

How to run the Apple Hardware Test is detailed here:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Who knows if the OP is using a Mac or a Windows machine? Surely does not supply any information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.