2nd HDD suddenly disappeared

Reaction score
I recently installed a 2nd HDD in my optical drive space using an optibay imitator. Basically, there is a PATA to SATA converter so that I have an HDD instead of a disk drive. It is a late 2006 MacBook white.

Everything worked great except for one minor glitch. When I would restart my mac, the computer wouldn't see the 2nd HDD. I believe it is because the 2nd HDD wasn't spinning in time for the kernel to see it. Anyways, when I would turn my computer off completely, and then turn it on, everything worked perfect.

Today, for no apparent reason, when I turn on my Mac (NOT restart) the 2nd HDD is missing. Any Ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post. (Posting the same message in more than one forum). Only post to one forum and continue posting to the same thread. If you feel that the post is in the wrong forum, ask a staff member to move it for you. I have removed your cross post.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Threads merged. Please don't double post.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Today, for no apparent reason, when I turn on my Mac (NOT restart) the 2nd HDD is missing. Any Ideas?

Check the optibay adapter and cable to make sure they're still functioning. It's also possible the drive itself may have failed.

OP
M
Reaction score
It seems to have mysteriously fixed itself (although I have an Ubuntu not booting issue now). How do I mark as solved?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It seems to have mysteriously fixed itself (although I have an Ubuntu not booting issue now). How do I mark as solved?

No need - especially since you can't post a specific fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.