Questions about my G4/OSX

Reaction score
Some background first. I do graphic/web design part time, some game design/editing at times as well, wanting to get into programming (c,c++, php, python, java, etc) down the road. I own a Windows machine (P4 2.4Ghz, 1gig mem) for all my designing, a Linux machine (XP2800, 512MB mem) for all other functions, and I just aquired a second hand G4 450 (OSX 10.2 832mb mem, 60gb hdd+ 160 sata waiting to be installed) a few months ago (and random other systems). OSX has peeked my interest enough for me to puchase a Mac. Now the next steps...

Now I am debating on whether or not to upgrade my G4 or get a dual G4/G5 or go with a cheaper AMD dual core X2 setup (X2 3800, 2GB mem, etc). I need a few questions answered, that I have to searched but have not found a good answer.

1.I want to move to a possibly one machine or two machine setup (Mac/Windows). Can I still use my Windows programs/fonts/etc on my Mac or do I have to get all new software/fonts/etc. This raises a big financial cost that I want to estimate before I make a decision for a new Mac.

2.If I do move to an all Mac setup, I will be getting rid of my Linux boxes. Can I run Linux programs on OSX? I have not compiled a list yet, so I have no programs in mind yet. I know about Fink, but is it stable?

3.If I upgrade my G4/450 I will want to add a upgraded processor (1-1.2Ghz) and a SATA PCI card to utilize my 160GB SATA drive. But the system is still a 100mhz bus, will I notice the responsiveness as my PC's?

4.If I add more hardware to the G4/450 including peripherals (external drives,etc), I will be concerned about the power supply. Would the PSU of the G4/450 able to handle everything I thow at it or what are my upgrade options?

5.At the G4/450, there is the video upgrade that I have been also contemplating. It currently has the default ATI Rage. I did flash a Nvidia Geforce 2MX but it cause instability in the G4. I wanted a low cost solution with the best bang, but in the Mac world there doesn't seem to be much of that. What would be a good card for me to handle a lot of 2d work? I have seen words like 'core image' 'quartz' bu I am not sure what that is and how it relates. Note I will not be gaming with the G4/450.

6.Why am I not seeing many programs (Fink, latest versions of Safari, etc) compatable for OSX 10.2? Is my Mac compatable with 10.4? I also do not have a classic mode, how important is that and if it is, how do I aquire it?

For now that is pretty much it. I appreciate everyone's responses. On paper everything about the Mac looks good (except the price) and can be the solution for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Happy New Year!

1. Nope. You COULD get Virtual PC, but if you did that, you might as well just keep the Windows box for Windows programs. By now of course, you can get pretty much any necessary program for a PC in a Mac version, but you cannot use your existing Windows programs (and I'm 90% sure you can't convert your licenses either) on a Mac.

2. Same as above.

3. You'll still notice a significant difference, but I honestly would not bother pouring all that upgrade money into your G4 unless you're particularly attached to it (as many Cube users get because of the coolness factor).

4. The power supply should be fine. People do these sorts of upgrades all the time and the only problems I've ever heard were installation ones.

5. Core Image is a graphics process in OS X that unlocks the possibility to a lot of different GPU functions in the OS. Certain effects and such built into the UI require it. Chances are, your card does not support it now. Quartz Compositor is OS X's windowing system. There are 2 "Quartz-specific" forms, and 2 you'll have heard before. There's Quartz 2D, OpenGL, QuickDraw, and Quartz Extreme. When you hear about if a card supports "Quartz" or not, they're talking about whether it's powerful enough to run Quartz Extreme. What QE does is use OpenGL 3D to render windows. It's a faster method of doing things if your card supports it, which once again, an ATI Rage does not. Try xlr8yourmac.com for graphics card upgrade recommendations and options.

6. Safari 2.0 is nonfunctional on Jaguar (10.2.x) at least partially because it was a selling point for Tiger (10.4.x) in the first place. Yes, your mac is compatible with Tiger. Classic mode is what allows you to run OS 9 within OS X in an environment so you can run your "classic" applications still. You don't need it, one reason being your system is capable of dual boot, the second being I highly doubt you want to use outdated programs for the stuff you'll be doing.

U

UncSki1218

mevyn did a nice job there. if you want tto run those pc progs u'd need virtual pc. its at least $200 and pretty laggy. i wouldnt recommend it. just keep your pc. as for the fonts...macs have a ton of great fonts (tiger at least) so u should be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
1.I want to move to a possibly one machine or two machine setup (Mac/Windows). Can I still use my Windows programs/fonts/etc on my Mac or do I have to get all new software/fonts/etc. This raises a big financial cost that I want to estimate before I make a decision for a new Mac.

Many Windows programs are available for Mac, if you made up a list, you could look them up individually, but the majority of them probably will be.

2.If I do move to an all Mac setup, I will be getting rid of my Linux boxes. Can I run Linux programs on OSX? I have not compiled a list yet, so I have no programs in mind yet. I know about Fink, but is it stable?

I honestly couldn't tell you, I don't have much experience with Linux.

3.If I upgrade my G4/450 I will want to add a upgraded processor (1-1.2Ghz) and a SATA PCI card to utilize my 160GB SATA drive. But the system is still a 100mhz bus, will I notice the responsiveness as my PC's?

Eh, are you sure you want to pour all of that money into upgrades? Unless you own a Cube you may as well buy a better G4 to begin with.

4.If I add more hardware to the G4/450 including peripherals (external drives,etc), I will be concerned about the power supply. Would the PSU of the G4/450 able to handle everything I thow at it or what are my upgrade options?

It depends upon the PSU connector. Some G4's had a 22-pin connection (proprietary to Macs) and some had a standard 20-pin. I'll try and find an article I saw on that...

5.At the G4/450, there is the video upgrade that I have been also contemplating. It currently has the default ATI Rage. I did flash a Nvidia Geforce 2MX but it cause instability in the G4. I wanted a low cost solution with the best bang, but in the Mac world there doesn't seem to be much of that. What would be a good card for me to handle a lot of 2d work? I have seen words like 'core image' 'quartz' bu I am not sure what that is and how it relates. Note I will not be gaming with the G4/450.

You may want to try eBay. I've seen some cards of that quality in the $20~ range (if not less).

6.Why am I not seeing many programs (Fink, latest versions of Safari, etc) compatable for OSX 10.2? Is my Mac compatable with 10.4? I also do not have a classic mode, how important is that and if it is, how do I aquire it?

Your PowerMac is probably compatible with Tiger, however, if you do get the processor upgrades, they may not work with Tiger/ Panther/ Leopard/ whatever the next cat will be in OSX.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I see a Mac solution may not be right for me at this moment in time.

Another question:

7. How well can this Sawtooth be used for a file server? Is Mac's samba client easier to work with than Linux, intregate better with Windows and linux machines? Since I already have the machine, I may get good usage out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
1. You cant use Windows programs (anything .exe) on your Mac. Fonts should be a non issue.

2. You cant run Linux under OS X, you can have a dual boot system though.

3. Consider the age of you machine. Shouldn't be an issue though.

4. Answered.

5. Answered.

6. Answered.

7. I cant compare with Linux because I don't use it. I can say that I can't see Apple making it any easier than they have (3 clicks and your in). Windows tends to be the stubborn partner in my experience. That said, once configured its a breeze.

I just wanted to add that you could sell the machine and put the cost towards a refurbished iMac G5 which could handle your needs with ease. Instead of upgrading a near obsolete machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be purchasing a Mac later on in the future. I will probably be using the Sawtooth as a file server using my external drives which is why I asked about the Samba client. (note my sawtooth does not support the dual cpus - it was one of the first things I checked)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.