hard drive no longer recognized

Reaction score
I have been using my Toshiba Portable Hard Drive for a couple of years on Mac and Windows, with no issues. However, it suddenly stopped working on my Mac. It seems to still work on the Windows computers I have tried it on. When I plug it in to my Macbook Pro, the light turns on, but it does not show up anywhere on my computer - not even Disc Utility. Please HELP!! :'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it still works on your Windows computer and you're not concerned about the data that's on it, try reformatting it on the Windows machine. But keep in mind that formatting will destroy all the data that's on the drive so if there is data on it that you need back it up first in Windows.

Also, before you do that, try plugging it into another USB port or your Mac and try a different USB cable.

Reaction score
Down here in Belize corrosion is an ever-present problem. I have quite a few external disks, including several of the type the OP describes, and periodically one will not work in a particular USB socket. I suspected the problem might be poor connections, so bought some rather expensive contact cleaner and use it on both sides of the USB connection. I found that quite a few of my USB plugs, the ones on the ends of the cables, had sufficient corrosion to make contact intermittent. Treatment with contact cleaner (Amazon.com: CAIG DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant: Musical Instruments) restored perfect connectivity.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Despite having tried changing around the USB ports over and over before, somehow this time it worked! (Do I feel like an idiot or what?!) I am going to see if I can get that stuff in NZ, looks like it could be really helpful. Thanks, again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.