If I boot into Recovery Mode and select Reinstall ML will it delete my User files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
I just wanted to reinstall Mountain Lion on my Macbook Pro and I want to make sure it won't delete my User files. Also, will this affect my Microsoft Office? Will I have to reinstall it? Will it affect any files or settings of mine? Currently have no back ups but I am creating some now using rsync. I'm also using crashplan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reinstalling Mountain Lion from the recovery partition will not delete or remove your user data, apps, or documents. However, you should always make a backup before doing a reinstall or any other work that involves the system. Use Time Machine or software that can create a clone of your hard drive. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are programs that can clone your hard drive contents.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reinstalling Mountain Lion from the recovery partition will not delete or remove your user data, apps, or documents. However, you should always make a backup before doing a reinstall or any other work that involves the system. Use Time Machine or software that can create a clone of your hard drive. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are programs that can clone your hard drive contents.

Won't that require me to have an external hard drive? By the way, I just finished backing up my Users folder using crash plan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you would need an external hard drive. A backup should be done on an external hard drive. Both of the programs that I mentioned will create a clone that can be booted from which is especially advantageous. But it's up to you.... By the way, is there any compelling reason why you're needing to reinstall?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it will help relieve my paranoia about my Mac having problems. Like when I first installed Mountain Lion it froze up for the first time ever and I had to shut down my Mac. Plus recently I changed my Mac's User name so it may have messed up things so I think a reinstall of OS X 10.8 may resolves some problems and relieve me of my paranoia.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's fine. I always like to make sure that someone "really" wants to reinstall rather than just do it for "whatever". I always try to tell folks that OS X is not Windows. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.