Candybar - questions :)

Reaction score
Hey all, i've only recently just got my macbook pro and obviously i'm eager to personalize it all. Someone told me about the program "candy bar" and how it lets you change your icons on your dock.

What i would like to know is, how can you change your icons back to the original if you get bored with the new one or something? also, is the program easy to use?

Thankyou.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your new MacBook Pro is running Lion (10.7.4) or Mountain Lion (10.8.1) CandyBar no longer works. The only thing it will change are the indicator lights which show which program is active on the Dock. Also, the developer released it as free ware.

OP
C
Reaction score
yeh i am running version 10.8 it says. Does that automatically mean i am running mountain lion? cause it still says i can purchase it from the app store? hmmm :p

is there any other reliable program that changes icons on the dock? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not purchase CandyBar from the App store or anywhere else because it's a free download from the developers web site. He even includes an activation serial number along with the download. And no, since you're running Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8) the Dock and icons can no longer be changed with the software that's currently available. Wait awhile until someone develops new software that will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The dock will probably never be able to be themed under Mountain Lion. The dock gets rendered differently under Lion, it is no longer a set of images like it was under Lion and previously.

As for icons, Candy bar will still do some icons, but anything downloaded from the App Store can NOT be changed. Due to the code signing of App Store apps, changing the icons will cause issues so Candy bar doesn't offer the option to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
CandyBar indeed works with ML as Panic recently updated the software to work in 10.8.1 just make sure its v3.3.3 (8.1).

I use it all the time to change system/app icons etc, and it works flawlessly.

To change an App Store icon you just need to export the modified icon within CandyBar as an 'icon...' (right click icon for export menu)

Then goto 'Applications' and find the app store app, right click, get info and drag the icon you exported to the top left to change it.

I've attached this image of some of my Dock icons i've changed to show that it does work.

MyDock.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the information Steve. Last time I checked he had a notice on his site that it didn't work. I'll download the update and see what I can do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Thanks for the information Steve. Last time I checked he had a notice on his site that it didn't work. I'll download the update and see what I can do with it.

No worries chscag, just make sure to 'update' when in CandyBar (it should prompt anyway).

Don't worry what his blog says, it works just fine in ML, trust me O:).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I agree with Steve... CandyBar works just fine for icons, except App Store purchases due to the code signing. His workaround though will work. CandyBar normally replaces the actual icon file inside an app (after backing up the original), so this modification causes problems with the code signing. The workaround to add it in the "Get Info" display just modifies the hidden resource fork that OS X creates for every folder and app to store some file data.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to lifeisabeach the work around that he described restores the ability to change icons. Good post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks to lifeisabeach the work around that he described restores the ability to change icons. Good post.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the Bionic Man actually posted the details. I had actually forgotten about it till he mentioned it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Thanks for all the info everyone, just to let you know the latest version is still a Universal Binary, and works fine on my iMac G5 under Leopard.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.