Sometimes My Macbook Picks Up Network, Sometimes Not

Reaction score
So me and another roommate have macbooks. And sometimes when one of us can connect to our network, the other can't, and vice versa. This most commonly happens after our internet goes down and gets back up.

However, our other roommates seem to have no problem connecting with their non-mac laptops.

When this happens, we can't even see our network in the available options in the networks our Wi-Fi is detecting. If we try to enter it manually, it says connection timeout. But it's being used by other people in our house...

Most of the time our computers pick up the network, but when they don't it's annoying.

Any ideas why this happens? (We both have the white macbooks from about 2.5-3 years ago.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Dont suppose the router is using an automatic frequency selection for the 2.4Ghz band? If so try setting it to use 1,6,11 as opposed to an automatic option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.