Iomega Hard Drive Not Recognized on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have a 1 TB Iomega Hard drive that has been formatted correctly originally and used since 2011. I recently attempted to back up some movies from my MacBook Pro and when I connected it the device was not recognized.

I powered down the computer turned it off disconnected and reconnected after it booted without success. I went into disc utility and it is not being recognized.

I currently run MAC OSX 10.7.4.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Garth

Reaction score
The first thing you should try is a SMC and a PRAM reset.
If that doesn't work, try using another cable to connect your harddrive to your Mac.
Please post back with the results.

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug the computer's power cord.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
• Release the power button.
• Attach the computers power cable.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.
• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
• Release the keys.

Ibanezi.

OP
G
Reaction score
SMC and PRAM reset was unsuccessful.

I will look into using another cable. I am using a USB connection that came with the HD. When I plug the usb into the computer the light comes on and I hear the disc start to spin in the HD. Could the cable be bad if I hear that noise as it starts up?

Most people that I read have this problem can see the HD's on their disc utility but when I go to disc utility I don't.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Reaction score
If the drive spins, you "may" be able to resurrect it using Disk Warrior to rebuild the disk directory
or a data recovery program like Drive Genius or Data Rescue 3.

None of the above are free programs and I cannot guarantee success with any of them, although Disk Warrior has never let me down.

Ibanezi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.