How to turn on Airplay Mirroring on my iMac without being at my iMac??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Basic situation is I want to mirror my iMac desktop upstairs to my Apple TV downstairs, but I don't want to have to run all the way upstairs just to turn it on. (kinda defeats the purpose) Has anyone found a way to do this?

I tried using Splashtop to remotely access with my iPad to turn it on, but when you turn on mirroring with something like Splashtop, the two don't play nice and it doesn't work. I also thought of setting up a custom command key combo to use on my keyboard app, but it doesn't look like it's possible.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a way to turn it on from the Apple TV since the whole point of using mirroring is to not have to be at your computer to use your computer! If anyone knows a way to do this, I would appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello fleurya, I can't see how you can do this unless you are waking it up from sleep. For what you describe you will need some sort of mechanical set-up with a servo and push-rod to prod the mouse or press a key ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Can't the Remote app do this?

Apple - iTunes - Remote

I don't have, and probably never will have, an AppleTV. But I do this with audio feeds, to multiple 'speakers' all the time.

Reaction score
the whole point of using mirroring is to not have to be at your computer to use your computer!

Says you. I thought mirroring is like having an external monitor, because the built in is too small for whatever you are trying to display AND do it wirelessly without a cable.

Dunno why the splash thing wouldn't work. May wanna bypass ML and try Parrot see if it makes a diff.

Reaction score
I know this is an old question now, but I think Rowmote for iOS can do this. I use Rowmote, but not for this.

Reaction score
I am wondering how you connect an iMac to your Apple TV period! I use wireless and use my iPad to play Pandora and mirror to the tv. Is there a way to use my iMac instead?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.