Snow Leopard and New Mountain Lion MBP Time Machine

Reaction score
Hey,

I am considering a new Macbook pro to replace my Core Duo model. My current machine cannot be upgraded any further and I am worried about all the saved data that I currently have stored on an external drive in Time Machine.
Will I be able to restore this data from within time machine when I connect the new Macbook to the external drive?
My old computer is running Snow Leopard and the new one will be a Mountain Lion powered device.
Any feedback appreciated, I have searched the forums but it all seems to be about installing ML on an older (non-compatible) Mac when I use the terms in this post.

Thanks,:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Should work. The first time you boot up your new MacBook Pro it will ask you if you wish to migrate data from another Mac. Respond yes, select Time Machine, attach your TM drive and press OK. It'll take a bit to transfer everything over but when it's done, you'll have all your data, settings and apps (apps that are compatible with Mountain Lion that is) transferred over.

One word of caution: Do not setup an account on your new Mac until after you have migrated the data otherwise you'll have two accounts. And that will cause some confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The time machine backup will work when restoring to your new Mountain Lion mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.